It's official

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's official

Well I picked up the Firebird today, so i'm officially in an f-body again. Let me tell you, I love it!!! I'll have to get pics soon.(I don't have a digi ) The guy i bought it from, filled up the tank. Only problem is i think it was filled with 87. When I hit the throttle a tad harder then i usually would, I hear tick,tick,tick,tick. Can't be good. I'm thinking its just of the Octane though. Can i be safe in thinkin this? Thanks, Ryan.

Oh yeah, there is a "performance transmission" button. What exactly does this do?
    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Cool dude. But I don't think you should have problems with 87. I started running 87 a few months ago when I got laid off. Save me a few bucks on each fillup. I have no problems. Car runs the same on 87 as it does on 93.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
      Cool dude. But I don't think you should have problems with 87. I started running 87 a few months ago when I got laid off. Save me a few bucks on each fillup. I have no problems. Car runs the same on 87 as it does on 93.
      Well, it wont run the same, it will make a little less power. Probably not enough for you to notice on the street.

It should not ping or knock. The knock sensor should detect any preignition and retard the timing to stop it. Thus the slight loss of power.

Can you get a scanner on it and see of the PCM is detecting knock?
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

sounds like a small exhuast leak by either the y pipe or manifolds
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
          That's what I was going to say. I'll even bet it's on the passenger side.

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
            Well I must've been imagining it because i didnt' hear it at all today. Well i guess i'll keep an ear out.
            2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Super, if it returns don't get all bent out of shape right away. I'm not sure what year you bought but the LT-1 is famous for being " a little loose" for lack of a better term. I think the lifters and valve train are just not as tight as other engines and can make a little noise at certain rpms, usually most noticeable if you step down about half throttle between 2000 to 3000 rpm.
              Mine has been this way since 17K and it has 92K on it now. Don't hear a thing if I hammer it though. [ Well Maybe a second gear bark with the A4 ].

Comment

Was it ticking when cold? A very slight exhaust leak will do that; then when the metal gets hotter, it will expand slightly and cover up a very small leak.
                94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
                  Was it ticking when cold? A very slight exhaust leak will do that; then when the metal gets hotter, it will expand slightly and cover up a very small leak.
                  No it was warmed up.
                  2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Working...
                  X