2nd tranny in 16 months!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd tranny in 16 months!!!!!

Ok, so driving home from work yesterday, I lost 4th and 3rd. Just totally slipping and no engagement. I know that I'll have to take it in, but is there anyone out there who's had similar problem and gotten it fixed? If so, what ballpark $$ are we talking about?

A year ago november I installed a new, not reconditioned, transmission with torque converter, because it was leaking from somewhere and the old one had burnt up parts.

Well, I have absolutley babied this thing, not even a hard start from a light, and it's not leaking fluid now. It cost me $2400 last time and I don't want to spend that much again.

One year warranty up at the end of november '05.

I noticed 2 days ago that shifting into 4th, and then into 3rd, wasn't nearly as stiff, then yesterday - kaput!

I checked the fluid, full.
    I drained the fluid, and no metal shaving or metallic look to it at all.
    I refilled and it's the same, no 3rd or 4th.

What could it be?

Thanks,
    Phill
    Orlando, FL
    '99 Z28 A4, 101K, fresh tranny, fresh rear-end, fresh window motor!!

Usually once its slipping there is no way to save it. It will probably need to be rebuilt. I would take it back to the place that put in the new one and raise hell. That is rediculuous for a new trans to be slipping already. Even though the one year warranty is over, they may still honor the warranty since its so close or at least give you a big discount on the new one. (Mabey they will bill you for parts only.) If they dont offer any kind of deal... Take the car somewhere else & Dont give them your business ever again.

Invest in a trans fluid cooler once you get it fixed.
    No F-Body right now

Comment

It is common for the 4l60E's to lose the 3-4 clutch and band, but it should not do it right after being rebuilt. If it is just the 3-4 clutch and/or band, it is unlikely that anything else is hurt.

Nevertheless, I would definitely take it back to the builder and bitch.

Comment

Speaking of clutches does anyone know of a clutch switch that can set off a check engine light?
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2317021/1

2001 Blk Firbird Formula 6 sp hurst shift (my toy) Upgrades: American thunder Flowmasters, Cross drilled rotors, Centerforce Clutch and Flywheel. Car is in Bodyshop for full painting now with Ram Air, Rims, and wing being installed.
        2006 Blk Cobalt SS (my commuter car)
        2003 Harley 1200 sportster 100th anniversary (For sale)
        2007 Jeep compass

Comment

Working...
        X