pic please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pic please

Does anyone have an installed pic of their CAI on their LT1? I would like to see what they look like installed. Thanks, Ryan.
    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Here's another, now Moroso.

94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Its my understanding that these CIA's are not to effective because the engine still has to work hard to suck in the air. Is'nt the direct ram air a better option? Because the air is forced directly into the intake and the engine doesnt have work for it. plus how much flow can there be with the thing tucked into the fender like that?
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2317021/1

2001 Blk Firbird Formula 6 sp hurst shift (my toy) Upgrades: American thunder Flowmasters, Cross drilled rotors, Centerforce Clutch and Flywheel. Car is in Bodyshop for full painting now with Ram Air, Rims, and wing being installed.
        2006 Blk Cobalt SS (my commuter car)
        2003 Harley 1200 sportster 100th anniversary (For sale)
        2007 Jeep compass

Comment

Incorrect, unless you consider 10 hp "not too effective." It has been proven on the chassis dyno. The stock airbox system on the LT1 is unbelievably restrictive. The SLP, K&N, and Moroso CAIs are the good ones to get. The ram air system on the LT1 was one of the best designs and is considered better than CAIs by some. However, it's not THAT much better than a CAI.
          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Thanks guys. I was lookin at some generic ones on ebay. But they just looked like poor quality. The filter looked exposed to the engine heat. Just wanted to see some quality CAI's before i decide on buying one.
            2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Yea, I would suggest sticking with SLP, Moroso (Callaway), or K&N. Don't even bother with the home made stuff. I got mine used on ebay for around $125 several years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
                Yea, I would suggest sticking with SLP, Moroso (Callaway), or K&N. Don't even bother with the home made stuff. I got mine used on ebay for around $125 several years ago.
                How much was that elbow of yours? Is it worth the price? I've seen them on summit for like 90 bucks That seemed a bit steep for me.
                2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Steve93Z bought that for me as a gift (thanks again man), so I don't know the exact price of it. But I think it was around $110-$120 at the time at Summit...quite pricey. This is the polished version and it makes the motor look really good. But there's nothing much wrong with the stock elbow. You're better off getting other bolt-ons first unless you really like that polished look.

Comment

You're better off getting other bolt-ons first unless you really like that polished look.
                    Will do
                    2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Originally posted by Firebirdcrazy
                      Its my understanding that these CIA's are not to effective because the engine still has to work hard to suck in the air. Is'nt the direct ram air a better option? Because the air is forced directly into the intake and the engine doesnt have work for it. plus how much flow can there be with the thing tucked into the fender like that?
                      It's got nothing to do with flow, it has to do with getting the colder air into the engine.....hence the name Cold Air Intake(CAI).

Comment

Steve93Z bought that for me as a gift (thanks again man), so I don't know the exact price of it. But I think it was around $110-$120 at the time at Summit...quite pricey. This is the polished version and it makes the motor look really good. But there's nothing much wrong with the stock elbow. You're better off getting other bolt-ons first unless you really like that polished look.
                        Bah, no problem . It was only around $90 back then, but it has jumped to around $110 on Summit now (the Vortech one). Ouch . It does eliminate the dampener off the intake completely (the 1LE blocks it off, but keeps it there for a "stock" look ) and divides the air before it hits the TB. But, its not something I would pick up for any real advantage, as Craig already pointed out. If you're looking to get rid of the dampener, you can either plug the hole in the stock elbow or pick up a 1LE elbow for around $30. Off topic, I know, but still informative lol .

As for the CAIs, I've got the SLP and like it for the most part. It was kind of a pain to install (filters kept falling off) and it does squeak against the factory bracket, but it looks completely different from most of the others and does its job well (always nice hearing that unholy sound when the car shuts off ). I'll post a pic tomorrow of mine.
                        Steve
                        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
                          Bah, no problem . It was only around $90 back then, but it has jumped to around $110 on Summit now (the Vortech one). Ouch . It does eliminate the dampener off the intake completely (the 1LE blocks it off, but keeps it there for a "stock" look ) and divides the air before it hits the TB. But, its not something I would pick up for any real advantage, as Craig already pointed out. If you're looking to get rid of the dampener, you can either plug the hole in the stock elbow or pick up a 1LE elbow for around $30. Off topic, I know, but still informative lol .

As for the CAIs, I've got the SLP and like it for the most part. It was kind of a pain to install (filters kept falling off) and it does squeak against the factory bracket, but it looks completely different from most of the others and does its job well (always nice hearing that unholy sound when the car shuts off ). I'll post a pic tomorrow of mine.
                          I was planning on getting the SLP one. It'd be great to see those pics Thanks. Oh, where can i get a 1LE elbow?
                          2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Ok, here's my setup. Excuse the mess (and it rained last night, so she's a little wet )...

As for the 1LE elbow, it has gone up in price since I last looked at it (SLP is now selling it for $60...could swear it used to be $30 or $35). Anyways, SLP has it here for $59.95. I checked eBay and the couple I found were actually a couple bucks more. Hope this helps.
                            Steve
                            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Thanks guys!! Helped a whole lot. I just got my tax return in so its time for a CAI!!!! Prolly go Moroso(sp?) Since its the cheapes i've seen. There isn't one thats better then the others is there?

oh yeah, why does the moroso have that big bellow area?
                              2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Working...
                              X