how to make a 4 bolt main pull over 300 hp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to make a 4 bolt main pull over 300 hp

anyone got any ideas on what would make a 350 4 bolt main pull 300 horses? im not sure how easy this is to do (id figure easy because im pretty sure most of those pull around 250, but i dunno). im gettin ready to put this motor in my 92 firebird & im thinking a 4 bbl intake manifold & a 750-1000cfm holley dominator carb/headers & free flowing exhaust?

thanx, js

A decent cam, heads and headers should make it relatively easy.
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

A nice single plane intake like a Victor Jr, a decent size 4 barrel carb and headers should put you pretty close to 300. It will greatly depend on the carb, cam, and heads.

Comment

heads with 2.02 intake, 1.70 exhaust with a 3 angle valve job, at least a 268 advertised duration cam at the minimum, headers, exhaust, single plane or midrise dual plane, decent carb and you are right there.

Comment

You don't even need larger valves or ported heads to make 300 HP out of a 350 inch SBC. The rag mags are constantly testing different 350 SBC combos. Super Chevy just got 422 HP out of a stock bottom end 350 with stock cast iron Vortec heads(1.94"/1.50" valves), 1.6 roller rockers, and Edelbrock Performer RPM Air gap Vortec intake manifold, Holley Street Avenger 670 CFM carb, and a CC 218/224, .462".469", 110 LSA.

The rag mags are constantly getting well over 400 HP with stock Vortec heads, a fairly small cam, and a moderate carburetor. Just bolting on a set of Vortec heads alone will get you pretty darn close to 300 HP.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
            You don't even need larger valves or ported heads to make 300 HP out of a 350 inch SBC. .
            True, it' just a little easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
              True, it' just a little easier.
              Yep, and sounds better too.

Comment

just to back up what Kevin said, I was able to get 350HP still using stock valves, an original Torquer single plane intake, moderate cam, headers, Holley Carb, and a few other misc bolt ons. Also, a 4 bolt main is simply 4 bolts per bearing cap vs. 2 bolts..... for added stability and strength.

Comment

vortec sounds great, but its expensive & i want to remain using carbureted methods.

Comment

Originally posted by no_doz
                    vortec sounds great, but its expensive & i want to remain using carbureted methods.
                    You can find a pair of fully assembled Vortec heads for less than $400. Do a search on cz28.com and ls1tech.com. Even brand new Vortec heads through Summit are only $519 for a pair. And $739 for the Vortec heads that are assembled to accomodate up to .550" of lift.

Vortec heads work just fine with carb setups.

Comment

but everytime i look for em they are made for FI setups? also where can i pick a set up for under 600? i looked on jegs & they were like 1200

Comment

Originally posted by no_doz
                        but everytime i look for em they are made for FI setups? also where can i pick a set up for under 600? i looked on jegs & they were like 1200

The cylinder heads dont care if the motor has a carb or is fuel injected, you just have to have a intake manifold that is for a carb and has the vortec bolt patern. Edelbrock has a couple that are for vortec heads I think they are makeing the RPM Air Gap for vortec heads now. Also you need to check Jegs again they are listed in the newest catalog for $249 each, also summit has them for about the same price.
                        1994 Z28 Camaro-Project carbed 4th gen
                        1995 Silverado-beater truck
                        2005 Colorado Z71-Daily driver

Comment

Working...
                        X