headers or Cai

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headers or Cai

Well I found Pacesetter Mid-lengths on summit for $255. And a CAI is about $200. Now i only have about $300 to spend so should i get the headers? Now they are not coated but for $255 i think i can deal with it. What do you guys think?
    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Get the CAI and save for coated headers.

Non coated headers will look like crap in a year, and rust out in a few years.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Isn't it cheaper and more effective to make your own CAI? I've heard that many, many times. I'd either save for headers or a decent cat back. I know there's no answer to this, but is there any one cat back for our cars that outflows everything else?
      Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
      SOLD- Kinda miss it
      94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
      SOLD- Good riddance!
      2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

In my opinion, you need to open up the motor from the outside in. Meaning, a good CAI and catback would be most beneficial to start. Then you can get headers to open up the bottleneck of the manifolds and stock y-pipe. RRs would be a nice addition with the headers as well.
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

i would do the CAI first... but thats mainly because those headers aren't coated... with the plug wires so close and the heat those headers would reach i'd be a little worried, plus like everyone has said they will rust and look like crap
          1990 Eagle talon TSI- daily driver

78' firebird formula -350/350- stock...now dead

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
            Get the CAI and save for coated headers.

Non coated headers will look like crap in a year, and rust out in a few years.

Tracey is right on the money.

Comment

They are painted.....but i think the paint would just flake off. Am i right in this assumption?
              2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Painted headers are a waste, get the coated ones. They produce more power and lower the temps under the hood big time and stay looking good much much longer.

The paint is mainly intended to resist rusting while in inventory and during shipping and it will begin to fall off very quickly. I only know of one header paint that really works and that is POR-15 high temp.
                1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
                Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
                Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

CAI most definitely gets my vote for all the same reasons that everyone has stated.
                  black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Ok, I may have some more money coming in so i might be able to get both things. (Coated of course $390) Well any way, can i install the headers with the stock y-pipe? If not, do you think i should get shorty's? I'm staying away from long tubes because I hear they're not emissions legal. If the pacesetter mids can be done with the stock y-pipe, then I'll probably end up getting those and maybe an electric cut-out. (plus the CAI)

My ultimate goal is going to be about 400 bhp (I know its mild but its a daily driver ). So i don't think i'll need the longtubes(could be wrong). Plus what do you guys think about the LT4 hot cam kit? With these plus a tune, where would i be? Thanks again guys.
                    2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Most headers.... short-, mid-, or long-tube.... require the Y-pipe that is part of the headers (short-, mid-) or a separate item to buy (long-tubes). An exception to this is the emissions legal headers for the dual cat (96/97) cars. They have to work with the stock Y-pipe to be legal. But even shorties on the single cat (93-95) cars will not match the stock Y-pipe. The price of the PaceSetter mid-lengths should include the Y-pipe. Summit shows it in the photo.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                        Most headers.... short-, mid-, or long-tube.... require the Y-pipe that is part of the headers (short-, mid-) or a separate item to buy (long-tubes). An exception to this is the emissions legal headers for the dual cat (96/97) cars. They have to work with the stock Y-pipe to be legal. But even shorties on the single cat (93-95) cars will not match the stock Y-pipe. The price of the PaceSetter mid-lengths should include the Y-pipe. Summit shows it in the photo.

Oooooooooooo, lol. I didn't even notice it. Thanks
                        2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Working...
                        X