81 turbo trans am???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 81 turbo trans am???

I know you guys are mainly newer fbodys, but I was hoping you guys could answer my question as to what to look for on a 81 TTA. It is a gold hard top, needs interior work, but it runs and drives. Still the 301 turbo engine. It needs the interior redone(not a problem to me) but I was just wanting to know if there is anything to specifically look for......and the price is $450.....lol
    Andrew
    1998 S10.....(sold) ran 13.6 on 80hp of spray and bolt ons
    1999 Sable.......should run low 16's high 15's
    2000 S10......(sold) total lemon, traded for a zx3 focus
    2001 zx3 focus......my autocross ride, sisters car as of Nov 18th this year.
    1989 Taurus SHO....(sold) New owner sent me a timeslip, 14.8 bone stock.....not bad for $50...lol

Yeah.... the engine is one of the worst ever built. Also, look for water intrusion in the trunk and rust along the bottom edges of the rear quarter panels as well as the trunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
      Yeah.... the engine is one of the worst ever built. Also, look for water intrusion in the trunk and rust along the bottom edges of the rear quarter panels as well as the trunk.
      Ouch, what was so bad about them?
      2006 Saturn Ion Redline
      2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by ryan34
        Hot Rod Magazine once published a list of the "top ten worst V8 engines ever built"

The Pontiac 301Turbo was number 1.

The oil system sucked, and the heads flowed for crap. My cousin used to have one and sold it in disgust. His Dodge Daytona V6 FWD could kick his Turbo T/A's a**.

I got to drive it a couple times it was a total dog.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by ryan34
          The motor was the only one of the pontiac V8s that didn't share the same configuration. All other 350-455 used the same block, shared many parts are were great engines. The 301 was essentially alightweight emissions motor, the oiling system was weak and prone to spinning bearings, the heads were very restrictive and the Turbo really didn't help much. If one upgraded the oiling system and ported the heads, there were some gains that made the motor a little better. At one point I was able to squeeze 350 HP out of it but not for long. There are literally just a small handfull of performance parts available and if you can find them, will be pricey. Most poeple yanked the 301 (myself included) and installed a more robust Pontiac motor. Basically, if you drop in a Pontiac 350 or 400 and run a turbo, you'll have a scorcher.

Comment

So how much power were they making(or lack thereof)
            2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

In normally aspirated form, base HP was 160 if I remember correct. The turbo version was roughly 185 upon initial introduction, later versions were supposedly upped to 205 but you couldn't tell by the way it ran. I'm a little foggy on the exact numbers, it's been over 20 years since I had one.

Comment

In normally aspirated form, base HP was 160 if I remember correct. The turbo version was roughly 185 upon initial introduction, later versions were supposedly upped to 205 but you couldn't tell by the way it ran. I'm a little foggy on the exact numbers, it's been over 20 years since I had one.

LOL, well the cars ARE older then i am. So i guess its excusable
                2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

well, the 301 in 81 is claimed to be 200hp and 340 ft lbs.......lol. All I know is that I have $5 my sable would beat it in the 1/4 mile......I mainly need to know more about the body, chassis, and other problems with the second gen fbodies mainly.....also, what is the difference between a base and SE in 81??? No one seems to know.
                  Andrew
                  1989 Taurus SHO....(sold) New owner sent me a timeslip, 14.8 bone stock.....not bad for $50...lol

Comment

Originally posted by S10mafia50
                    well, the 301 in 81 is claimed to be 200hp and 340 ft lbs.......lol. All I know is that I have $5 my sable would beat it in the 1/4 mile......I mainly need to know more about the body, chassis, and other problems with the second gen fbodies mainly.....also, what is the difference between a base and SE in 81??? No one seems to know.
                    Andrew
                    The torque is a misprint. Closer to 240. The SE received upgraded wheels, interior trim enhancements, extra gauges, pinstrips, etc. There was no mechanical difference.

Comment

The torque is a misprint. Closer to 240. The SE received upgraded wheels, interior trim enhancements, extra gauges, pinstrips, etc. There was no mechanical difference.
                      Hmm, what kind of extra guages and interior trim.....go figure on the misprint tho....lol. I need to know what kind of guages and such I need to look for, if it is an SE......it would be one of 65.......kinda farfetched, but a possibility. Also, what are some common problems with all 2nd gens? BTW, I would really be buying this for rarity and not neccesarily speed....lol
                      Andrew

Comment

Again, if i remember correct, the regular base versions received the regular speedometer, and idiot lights for oil pressure and water temp. The upgraded cluster received the Tach as well as seperate oil and water gauges. I don't know how many SE versions were produced though. It's got to be really rare because the regular trim levels were:
                        Firebird, Firebird Esprit, TransAm.

Common problems for second generations is rust in the rear quarters, bottom of the doors, water intrusion into the trunk area and accompanying rot, poor brake balance, door hinge sag, misc rattles. Basically about like anything else of the same age. Rust on the rear quarters though is a big problem.

Comment

Again, if i remember correct, the regular base versions received the regular speedometer, and idiot lights for oil pressure and water temp. The upgraded cluster received the Tach as well as seperate oil and water gauges. I don't know how many SE versions were produced though. It's got to be really rare because the regular trim levels were:
                          Firebird, Firebird Esprit, TransAm.

Common problems for second generations is rust in the rear quarters, bottom of the doors, water intrusion into the trunk area and accompanying rot, poor brake balance, door hinge sag, misc rattles. Basically about like anything else of the same age. Rust on the rear quarters though is a big problem.
                          well, from my souce, there were only 65 SE's made with the turbo engine and hard top.
                          Andrew

Comment

Working...
                          X