electric waterpump question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electric waterpump question...

ok i picked up a mezeire waterpump and have been looking on the forums about the shaft that sticks out of the block and if you HAVE to remove it... do you HAVE to remove it?

Yes. Some don't, but you should pull it out and plug the hole in the timing cover. Without the water pump in place, the shaft is only supported by one bearing and the cam gear is riding on it still, but now it can wobble.

Comment

do you need to pull the timing cover or can you just pull it out and just plug it up? assuming a freeze plug and some rtv but what size? and from where thanks

Comment

Hate to tell you this, but I knocked mine out through the intake valley when the manifold was off and I was doing a cam swap, so I had the timing cover off as well. You might want to wait until you have the intake off for some reason and do it then, although I do not know what others have done in your situation. I had trouble finding a freeze plug to fit exactly even though I went thru every one at the parts counter bin, but I found one which was close and ground it down a bit on the OD and smashed it in there with some RTV and it held like a champ. Others have JB welded a coin (50 Cent) in there or tig welded it shut with a plug of aluminum, or done like me. Some have left the shaft in there and counted on the seal to steady the shaft, but I don't like that arrangement at all.

Comment

Like Kevin suggested, it is not a good idea to leave the waterpump drive assembly in the motor. You will need to pull the intake manifold to get to it.

Here is what you end up with:

Comment

Kev, do you think he could try prying it out the front since it comes out that way anyhow? It just might be that the bearing is too tight in the block for that, but it might be possible with a slidehammer if you could hook it up...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
              Kev, do you think he could try prying it out the front since it comes out that way anyhow? It just might be that the bearing is too tight in the block for that, but it might be possible with a slidehammer if you could hook it up...
              Mine was super tight. It took a couple of decent blows from a hammer to punch mine out. You know, now that I think about, I would think you need to have the timing cover off anyway to pull it out. I just so happened to have my intake off. So maybe the intake can stay and you can just pull the timing cover off.

It's been a while.

Comment

Working...
              X