Door rattles just won't go away

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door rattles just won't go away

Ok, after reading many other posts and replacing parts per their recommendation, I still have an annoying rattle sounding like the glass is going to break. It only rattles when more than half way down, never when all the way up or when the glass touches the weatherstrip. So far I replaced:

Outer door seal
    Window stabilizers
    Door latch

I also checked the rivets they seem nice and tight. What else could be wrong or does something need to be lubed up? Thanks.

i have the same problem on my 94, so i am quite interested in what the possibility might be.

Originally posted by Jeffs Black 97 Formula A4
    Ok, after reading many other posts and replacing parts per their recommendation, I still have an annoying rattle sounding like the glass is going to break. It only rattles when more than half way down, never when all the way up or when the glass touches the weatherstrip. So far I replaced:

Outer door seal
    Window stabilizers
    Door latch

I also checked the rivets they seem nice and tight. What else could be wrong or does something need to be lubed up? Thanks.
    -Jeff

Comment

I had to strategically glue pieces of rubber into my drivers door to silence it completely. I started by removing the door panel and positioning the glass so the rattle was able to be reproduced by wiggling the door while open. I then cut some rubber to size and glued it on to prevent any noise. My door now closes solid and never rattles no matter what position the window is in.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Any pics of the rubber pieces? Asking because I looked at my passenger door and did not see any rubber pieces, and the passenger side window does not rattle like the driver door.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffs Black 97 Formula A4
          Any pics of the rubber pieces? Asking because I looked at my passenger door and did not see any rubber pieces, and the passenger side window does not rattle like the driver door.
          My passenger door has never rattled either. I've had both doors apart and dont see any difference in them internally, but I still had to fix the rattle in the drivers door. Sorry I dont have any pictures of the fix.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
            My passenger door has never rattled either. I've had both doors apart and dont see any difference in them internally, but I still had to fix the rattle in the drivers door. Sorry I dont have any pictures of the fix.
            Was the drivers window scratched? just wondered if this was the same as my scratched window thread?
            My windows were scratched, rattled when they were down etc...
            Ended up been internal felts that had rotted away...
            Screaming Mad
            Car: 1994 Camaro, 3.4l V6
            Pace Setter headers & Y pipe, Flowmaster Z28 exhaust, K&N cone filter. modded 4l60e, trans cooler, strut brace, Eibach pro-kit
            0-60 7.74
            1/4 16.52 @ 85.3

Bike: Suzuki GSXR K4 600, K&N filter,Rizla kit, R&G bobbins, Db screen, LED indicators

Comment

Originally posted by Screaming mad
              Was the drivers window scratched? just wondered if this was the same as my scratched window thread?
              My windows were scratched, rattled when they were down etc...
              Ended up been internal felts that had rotted away...
              It was scratched very slightly. Not really noticable. I replaced the window and the outer door trim moulding anyways. That new piece with one solid bumper is nice.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:

Comment

Mine does not have scratches.

Comment

Take TrazeZ's advise. You have to take the panel off and get the window to make the sound while you are looking at it. There are lots of things in the door than can bang around if they are worn or broken. Its going to be almost impossible for some one to say "Your problem is THIS"
                  No F-Body right now

Comment

I looked and looked, can't seem to find out what's rattling. It seems to happen if I close it harder. It will also happen if the passenger window is open and I shut the driver door hard enough.

Comment

First, narrow it down to a general area. Next, take folded pieces of cardboard and stick them in places until it fixes the problem, now you know what to fix.
                      Tracy
                      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                      Current Mods:

Comment

Is the door all one piece (outer door skin and the entire door frame including the inner piece)?

Comment

It's not the door it's the window ?

Maybe need a new window regulator ?
                          [B]97 WS6 TransAm 6 speed Mods--Grey leather interior-Granatelli MAF-58mm BBK TB-Hypertech programmer-Hypertech 160 stat-BBK aluminum crank pulley-Skip shift eliminator-B&M sport shifter-Aeromotive LT1 fuel pressure regulator(46psi)-,Edelbrock Torque Arm, ,Aluminum driveshaft-high performance cross-drilled rotors and pads-Stealth switch.Infinity speakers and bazooka sub.12 CD changer.The car runs great. In near futur, headers,exhaust.

Comment

Finally figured out what the cause was. The safety bar that's inside the door was loose. Took a body shop to figure that one out, not sure how much as I haven't picked it up yet. They tightened it up the best they can, then shot some foam to silence it further.

Comment

Working...
                            X