Welding over header coating.......Can it be done

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding over header coating.......Can it be done

I have a 3 piece coated header y-pipe and it leaks at the seams, therefore I want to weld it up solid and be done with it.

What do I need to do to ensure the weld holds up cause I was told that you cant just weld over coating. Maybe I was told wrong. I have already gone around the seams with a wire grinder with wire brush but I still dont think I have hit bare metal. If I need to I guess I can use a stone or a wheel to just break the surface.

I will be painting the welded areas with POR-15 high temp so I am not worried about the coating around the seams.

I just need to get a heads up before I take it to the muffler shop. I am also open to other suggestions to seal the seams.
    Thanks

1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
    Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
    Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

You need to get down to bare metal in order to get a good weld. Don't expect rust not be a problem in the near future though.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
      You need to get down to bare metal in order to get a good weld. Don't expect rust not be a problem in the near future though.
      Correct...... the ceramic coatings interfere with heat transfer and won't allow penetration of the metal. It's got to be bare for a weld to take.

Comment

I would try to get it sandblasted with fine metal pieces instead of sand. that should take care of cleaning it up for welding.

Knowing what kind of material the Y-Pipe is and then using the proper material welding rod would make a better weld too.
        97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Working...
        X