Tune Up & Exhaust Recomendations: Parts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tune Up & Exhaust Recomendations: Parts

I recently aquired a 1994 Trans Am from my father. It has approximately 100,000 miles and is definitely due for a tune up. I have been reading threads on this forum for quite some time now and have recieved a wealth of information. Noteably, the pain that I will be looking forward to when attempting the tune up.

I would like to know the following:

1) Are there any other parts that I should replace when performing the tune up? I'm not just referring to spark plugs, wires, etc... but any other parts that may be a easier replacement while performing the tune up.

2) I am going to replace the exhaust, cat back, for sure, possibly the headers as well. Again, the questions are what exhaust & header combination does everyone recommend? I really want to concentrate on a clean sound.

3) Is it a definite major advantage to replace the headers at the same time as doing all of these other replacements? I would assume it has to make the tune up go a bit easier.

4) Sparkplugs, plug wires, and wire covers... recommendations.

Thank you in advance for your advice...

Sin_Cere

Originally posted by Sin_Cere
    I recently aquired a 1994 Trans Am from my father. It has approximately 100,000 miles and is definitely due for a tune up. I have been reading threads on this forum for quite some time now and have recieved a wealth of information. Noteably, the pain that I will be looking forward to when attempting the tune up.

I would like to know the following:

1) Are there any other parts that I should replace when performing the tune up? I'm not just referring to spark plugs, wires, etc... but any other parts that may be a easier replacement while performing the tune up.

2) I am going to replace the exhaust, cat back, for sure, possibly the headers as well. Again, the questions are what exhaust & header combination does everyone recommend? I really want to concentrate on a clean sound.

3) Is it a definite major advantage to replace the headers at the same time as doing all of these other replacements? I would assume it has to make the tune up go a bit easier.

4) Sparkplugs, plug wires, and wire covers... recommendations.

Thank you in advance for your advice...

Sin_Cere
    If you are doing headers, I would recommend OVC wires (cut to fit) MSD makes part number 32129. Taylor makes some heat sleaves that are awesome and for plugs NGK TR55 also MADE FOR YOU makes very cool wire looms.
    http://www.stealthperf.com
    http://www.projectgangreen.com

Comment

Items to consider replacing:
      -plugs
      -wires
      -oil
      -tranny fluid
      -rear axle lube
      -coolant (full flush)
      -brake fluid
      -oil filter
      -air filter
      -fuel filter
      -tranny filter (A4)
      -PCV valve
      -inspect all vacuum lines for cracks
      -check all coolant hoses
      -wheel alignment
      -check brake pads and rotors for wear
      -check brake calipers for leaks
      -check shocks for leaks, no resistance
      -check all suspension bushings for tears and damage
      -inspect radiator cap for sealing
      -inspect fuel fill cap for sealing
      -top hydraulic fluid (M6 clutch)
      -inspect all coolant hoses

Items possibly due for replacement (are you having any problems with misfires, surging, irregular idle, hesitation?):

-Opti/distributor
      -coil
      -IC Module
      -O2 sensors

Inspect for oil leaks:
      -passenger rear side manifold to block
      -rear main seal
      -front seal and Opti seal
      -valve cover gaskets

Do the plugs and wires when you do the headers. The headers and wire routing you select will determine what you need to protect the plug wires - e.g. fire sleeves, wire spacers, etc.

For headers, consider either the AS&M intermediate length headers, or one of the long tube sets. What emissions do you have to meet, will the car ever be lowered?

What kind of budget do you have for a catback? Stainless steel or aluminiized steel? What kind of sound are you after? Would you be interested in a true dual exhaust?
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

All good information... Thank You! Pertaining the the question below, yes I did have an issue throughout the end of last summer with what felt like a misfire. It always happened when it was raining or really hot and I was using the air conditioning. I would step down hard on the pedal to pass or pull out and it would completely bog down, feeling like I wasn't running on all eight. This is when I knew a tune up was a must. My dad said that he replaced the plugs once, and at the same time replaced two plug wires per the direction of the mechanic... my dad was not all to car savy... I don't know who ever just replaces two wires, especially not on an F-Body knowing the pain that it is to do the work. The idle is very steady, no surging and no irregular idle speeds. I guess one could consider there to be some hesitation pertaining to the above mentioned condition during acceleration. Could this have to do with the opti-spark? I think I remember reading about a condition where the A/C caused moisture to interfere with the opti-spark.

Items possibly due for replacement (are you having any problems with misfires, surging, irregular idle, hesitation?):

-Opti/distributor
        -coil
        -IC Module
        -O2 sensors

I do have a leak and it appears to be around the oil pan.

Inspect for oil leaks:
        -passenger rear side manifold to block
        -rear main seal
        -front seal and Opti seal
        -valve cover gaskets

I am pretty open to budget for the exhaust system. I just want a quality set up. You are hitting the nail on the head by mentioning the whole picture of wire setup, sleeves, headers and exhaust. This is the main intent of this post, I want to come up with an idea of a total solution. Emissions aren't a huge issue in Michigan. We don't get to much grief from the cops here. I would be completely fine with running an off road setup. I drive the car so little that I wouldn't feel too guilty... I would consider true duals, I just haven't read up on that option all too well. Please pick up where you left off and describe your ideal setup. I guess the only preference that I have so far is Corsa over Borla simply based on asthetics. I would be fine with a lower budget exhaust if you felt strongly about it. Saving money is always a bonus. Picky... but I don't care for the Borla tips. I would like to lower the car as well. Not by much, probably 1.5" or so...

Do the plugs and wires when you do the headers. The headers and wire routing you select will determine what you need to protect the plug wires - e.g. fire sleeves, wire spacers, etc.

For headers, consider either the AS&M intermediate length headers, or one of the long tube sets. What emissions do you have to meet, will the car ever be lowered?

What kind of budget do you have for a catback? Stainless steel or aluminiized steel? What kind of sound are you after? Would you be interested in a true dual exhaust?[/QUOTE]

Comment

I just replaced my O2's and I had a definite improvement in the hesitation problem. It's still not totally right though

Comment

Working...
          X