Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats up fellas? Long time, no ......type.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats up fellas? Long time, no ......type.

Hey,

Ive been away from the site for a while. Ive been working on the house, and the family. The car has been sitting. I just brought it out of hiding for the spring and gave it one more shot on ebay to sell......it didnt happen. So, im keeping it.

I just sold my 91 Spirit R/T to get some money together to put into the Bird. I need to buy 4 tires and have the clutch relined by SPEC. I will probably have 5-600 bucks to play with after that and I was thinking about doing the cam. I want to dump the LT4 hotcam. I was thinking of either the cc306 or a custom grind.

Questions: How much lift will my LT4 valve springs support. If I will need new ones, which ones do you suggest?

Also, have you heard of these guys?
    http://www.flowtechinduction.com/camshaftsqanda.htm
    If so,what have you heard?
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Glad you are keeping the car I know I would miss mine if it were gone and I only drove the T/A about 800 miles this year
    1997 Trans AM WS6 vert
    1 of 463
    LT4 knock module
    D. Goetz sub-frame connectors.
    strut tower brace
    SLP fan switch
    160* t/stat
    Drilled and slotted rotors/ Earls SS brake lines/ Hawk pads
    DMS 1.5" progressive lowering springs

Pictures Here

Comment

So how many miles on the cam? Hehe, may be interested
      2006 Saturn Ion Redline
      2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

ya i was glad to see you driving down the road in it on saturday. was a little nervous you had sold it. if you do decide to get rid of that lt4 hot cam, let me know about it... might not be a bad start for me, hot cam and then ill buy some 1.6 rockers and see if farmers will do some porting and polishing for me.

from what ive seen online a lot of people have gone with the cc306. Looks like it makes a bunch of good power and gives it a real nice loopy idle sound. Im sure it will open your bird up a lot.

Maybe this summer if you go to the track let me know. I start a coop at xerox and ill actually be making some money so now i can actually but stuff for my car instead of just plan out what to do when the money comes. I set aside about $2500 of what im making to do whatever i want with and then the rest is going into savings.

Keep in touch.

http://videos.camaroz28.com/category...36A87D23D0.htm

sounds pretty mean

Comment

Well, I am definately getting rid of the LT4 Hotcam. I just need to decide whether of not I want to get a custom grind or not. I will sell the cam to you cheap, Joe, if you want it. If not, i'll put it in the for sale section here and sell it to another member cheap. I dont know how many miles are on the cam. When I had it out of the car last, the wear was negligible. Roller cams really dont wear out quickly.
          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
            Well, I am definately getting rid of the LT4 Hotcam. I just need to decide whether of not I want to get a custom grind or not. I will sell the cam to you cheap, Joe, if you want it. If not, i'll put it in the for sale section here and sell it to another member cheap. I dont know how many miles are on the cam. When I had it out of the car last, the wear was negligible. Roller cams really dont wear out quickly.

let me know a price and ill see what i can do

Comment

How's 50 bucks?

Comment

well if the wear isnt noticeable like you say, I cant see how i could pass that up

i need to order the heavy duty timing chain if i want to install that cam and the rockers and all that right?

but ya i got $50 for it

Comment

You can run the stock LT1 chain and gears. I would definately get new ones though. Theyre pretty inexpensive.

Comment

You can run the stock LT1 chain and gears. I would definately get new ones though. Theyre pretty inexpensive.
                    Do i need new roller tappets also?

Comment

I want to dump the LT4 hotcam. I was thinking of either the cc306 or a custom grind.
                      I'm not a fan of the 306. There are better choices now..... the 305 and 306 are dated designs that don't perform as well as more modern grinds.

Maybe Combination Motorsports....... TN-230XL. The specs listed are 230/236 @ .050" and .544"/.555", 112 LSA. This is supposed to produce more power and have better drivability than the 306.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                        I'm not a fan of the 306. There are better choices now..... the 305 and 306 are dated designs that don't perform as well as more modern grinds.

Maybe Combination Motorsports....... TN-230XL. The specs listed are 230/236 @ .050" and .544"/.555", 112 LSA. This is supposed to produce more power and have better drivability than the 306.
                        Yea, as ive read more about the 306, I am hearing this from a few guys. I will check out comb. motor sports. Anyone heard of Flow Tech induction (the link I posted above)?

What are the lift limits on the LT4 springs?

Comment

GM rates the LT4 spring to haandle .540" of lift. The LT4 valve spring has a solid height of 1.220". This is the height of the spring completely compressed. The normal installed height of the LT4 spring is 1.780". So if you subtract the solid height from the installed height, you actually get .560" before coil bind but I personally wouldn't go with a cam bigger than .540" just to leave a safety margin. Thing is, that's going to significantly limit your cam selection.

You would probably be better off just changing the springs Sean. If you went with the popular Comp Cams 987's, you would need to have the heads machined. The 987's are good for about .580" of lift.

What lifters are you running?

Comment

Stock lifters. THeres no way around machining the heads (to accept aftermarket springs) if I want to with higher than a .540 lift? If I have to pull the heads, I may think twice about this project.

How about these springs? Says they can be used with stock retainers.....and says nothing about machining.

CC-26918-16 .........first ones on this page:
                            http://www.cmotorsports.com/93-97-fb...ine-valvetrain

Comment

Hey Bro- Thanks for checking in!!! Good to hear from ya. Those 918 springs are the beehives, but an upgrade from the LS1s. I just got done setting them up on my heads. They need LS1 retainers and seats. Your seats will work if you chamfer the bottom of the springs a tiny bit, which is what I did. The springs are good to .600 and they need to be shimmed to approx 1.8" for a 130# closed. I measured ALL of my springs on a Honeywell strain gauge with a Mitutoyo digital height micrometer and found that .035"=10# for a fairly linear range of pressures & heights. I also found about that much variation in the heights & pressures at 1.8", so I measured all the heights at 130# & 140# shimmed them individually to the height which they gave me 140# knowing that they are going to give up 10# after heat cycling and breakin.

Comment

Working...
                              X