skinnys will not hold weight of the gto! wolfman,injuneer w/i

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skinnys will not hold weight of the gto! wolfman,injuneer w/i

I had just purchased a set of dr's for my 05 gto and i inquired about getting some skinnys for the front---i planned on using our 17" spare and i bought an extra one----i mentioned a few names like m/t hoosier phoenix and he mentioned frontrunner but said he did not have 17" frontrunners---but he said stay away from those! they were not designed to hold nearly the weight of our cars--they were made for rails---now i know i have seen heavier cars out there with skinnys in the front---my question is where to find them---thanks in advance

My buddy has an LS1 GTO that has dipped into the 10s. He runs skinnies on bogarts. Not a problem.
    LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Your info is correct.... the 17's are for very narrow wheels that mount to Anglia spindles on the front of rail cars. Most people use a 15" wheel. Not sure whether you can get a 15" wheel on a GTO. How big are the front discs? If anything will fit, it will be the Bogarts = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
        Your info is correct.... the 17's are for very narrow wheels that mount to Anglia spindles on the front of rail cars. Most people use a 15" wheel. Not sure whether you can get a 15" wheel on a GTO. How big are the front discs? If anything will fit, it will be the Bogarts = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
        Yep. Bogarts are high dollar. The correct application would be a 15" front and as already mentioned, no word as to whether they clear the brakes or not. I thought I remember seeing front runners on a GTO somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
          Yep. Bogarts are high dollar. The correct application would be a 15" front and as already mentioned, no word as to whether they clear the brakes or not. I thought I remember seeing front runners on a GTO somewhere.

Ive seen pics of a GTO with skinnies up front.....im trying to remember where though.
          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

BMR's GTO has Welds on it:

Here is another GTO with Welds I think:
            http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/attach...chmentid=58563

Weld makes a 17" x 4" front runner for late model cars in their Alumastar and Magnum series. I'm not sure if they make it in a 5 x 120mm or not. These guys with skinnies on their GTO's may have converted to a 5 x 4.75" lug pattern on the front.

Comment

i've found some info

the skinny 17" are only 2 1/2 inches wide and are for rails and other light front end cars---there a re 66 4,000 lb chevelles with 3.5 inch and 4" bogarts are quite common but are made in the 17" size--i5's will fit in the rear of the gto's as i have a set of m/t drag radials with 15 x 7 bmw wheels coming by ups tommorrow---i wanted to run my 17" spare and an extra 17" spare on the front for skinnys and they are wide enough for a 4.5 moroso or a 4 inch bogart but i am thinking there really is no speed rating on the gto spares-like their were on the stow aways---i might can get by with just running the spare tire up front on both sides---although i am sure theyare not z or w speed rated--when my car gets out of shop tommorrow it will be a 11 second car---i'm gonna keep the factory 17's up front for now until i can get a speed rating for the spares in the trunk of the 05's---15's wont work in the front because of the massive 12.9 inch brake rotors---the guy thats hookin my nitrous system up today /tommorow won 1st place in the jegs all star transbrake invitational and the mickey thomson footbrake shootout in 2003---he has over 2000 passes at 23 years old and he knows how to build a tranny/converter/valve body---i was lucky enough that he opened up a shop near me. i just talked to him on the phone and he has my zex wet system all hooked up along with bottle in trunk n20 filter new plugs,bottle warmer and bmn trick window switch with 1st gear lockout although with these new mickeys i might not need to lockout 1st gear---i gotta put harrup diff cover,drag,bags and safety loop on--fill up bottle and i'll be ready to goooooo
              P.S. this guy gets free m/t's and everything jeg sales at just about cost---wish i new him a day earlier when i paid $290 shipped for my dr's---his site is www.hitechtorque.com i'm gonna ask him about being a vendor

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA

Here is another GTO with Welds I think:
                http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/attach...chmentid=58563

Weld makes a 17" x 4" front runner for late model cars in their Alumastar and Magnum series. I'm not sure if they make it in a 5 x 120mm or not. These guys with skinnies on their GTO's may have converted to a 5 x 4.75" lug pattern on the front.
                i've seen may a gto with ws6 wheels on their gto's--they are not exaactly right and i think it's unsafe but they are---many people running skinnys up front---04's especially with smaller brakes but with 17's--only 17's i see are factory spares on the gto's or 2.5 inch skinnys on rails which will not hold the weight of our car if i can just find a 4" bogart 17" i'd be set

Comment

You might want to call Weld. They may have a 17x4 in a 5 x 120mm now. They have a 17" x 4" front runner for the foxbodies and later model Mustangs and Cobras. I also think they have a 17" x 4" front runner in a 5 x 4.75".

I would HIGHLY not recommend running a spare tire up front. Not a good idea at all.

I just found out that the wheel on that BMR car is a Bogart. I believe it is a 16" wheel. Not sure how wide. Bogart makes a 16" front runner. Not sure if they offer it in a 5" x 120mm or not, but I suspect they do.

Just call Weld and Bogart.

Comment

You might want to call Weld. They may have a 17x4 in a 5 x 120mm now. They have a 17" x 4" front runner for the foxbodies and later model Mustangs and Cobras. I also think they have a 17" x 4" front runner in a 5 x 4.75".

I would HIGHLY not recommend running a spare tire up front. Not a good idea at all.

I just found out that the wheel on that BMR car is a Bogart. I believe it is a 16" wheel. Not sure how wide. Bogart makes a 16" front runner. Not sure if they offer it in a 5" x 120mm or not, but I suspect they do.

Just call Weld and Bogart.
                    Weld has some good prices on wheels I coulda got somwe 15 x 8 for the rear of my gto for $155 shipped apiece---went with 15" alloy bmw e36 wheels 2 for $100 shipped but they look nice--came of a 95 325i look even better with m/ts on them---lol

Comment

That was it.

Comment

Working...
                      X