Took the bird for inspection......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took the bird for inspection......

And failed, I need to do a rotors and pads on all four and inner tierods on both sides. Anyone got any tips/tricks I've done a couple brake jobs never on a f-body, and have never done inner tierods.

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
    2001 Intrigue GL

Brakes are a piece of cake (or pie, whatever you like lol ). Never touched the tie-rod ends before though
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Thats pretty scary. All four corners were bad enough to fail inspection? How long have you been driving with bad brakes? I dont like to preach, but brakes are so important. You should never let them get that bad. And both tierods? How much play do you have in the steering wheel? It must feel like you are driving a truck.

Like Steve said, brakes are cake. If you have done them before on another car, you will be fine. There arent too many differences in disc brakes.
      No F-Body right now

Comment

brakes are gonna be easy, make sure u get good parts(i like O.E.M from levines or raybestes(sp?)) as for inner tie rods, they are easy if u have the correct tools. but dont forget to get a alignment done afterwards. a tip to tie rods is to count how many turns it takes to get the old one off, that way if the new one is same size or close u can get the spec back in as close as possible
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by gimp19
          And failed, I need to do a rotors and pads on all four and inner tierods on both sides. Anyone got any tips/tricks I've done a couple brake jobs never on a f-body, and have never done inner tierods.
          Pretty straight forward, nuts and bolts stuff. The inner tie rods will require an alignment afterward (or you need to count threads on the rod ends to ensure that it is at least close). TO break the tie rod joint loose, either pound it out with a hammer (because you are replacing it anyways) or use a pickle fork. The brakes are pretty straight forward.

Be aware though, in order to fail NYSI for brakes they need to be just about metal to metal (I find it ahrd to beleive your driving on metal to metal at all four corners). Otherwise, all they can do is ADVISE you to replace them soon. Also, check the play in the tie rods yourself. Many (dishonest) shops fail tie rod ends for a little side to side play. Really, its up to the discretion of the tech, but they arent really unsafe until you have some up and down play at the joint. It sounds like a Monroe muffler or Pep Boys state inspection.

Im not saying that they didnt treat you right. You may indeed need all of those parts, but this is one of my pet peeves. Goober technician (who make us all look bad) who fail cars dishonestly to make an extra buck.

THree letters will usually set them stright D....M......V! Many shops dread a report to the department of motor vehicles. They are the governing body behind liscensing shops to do NYSI's and they are just looking to take away liscenses!
          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Id defiantely check that out first with another shop as well and see what they say, for all four brakes to be bad enough to fail seems a little suspicious, though it is possible i suppose. Go get it checked out elsewhere, the shop i usually take my car too always says things like, within the next year or so you should consider doing this.... and they always seem to be right on the money, but never charge me to do anything that doesnt need to be done.
            -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

He did say the brakes "could pass" but the rotors are pretty shady the car still stops all right. There is quite alot of play in my front wheels drivers side moves quite abit, i didnt notice it unless I was stopping the car would pull to the left, wasnt't sure why thogh. I've been putting the brakes off untill the weather warms up.

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
              2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

The brakes are real easy... You shouldn't have any problems. As for the inner tie rod ends go to the auto parts store and rent the correct tools. Also math up the end for lenght and count the number of turns to get the alignment close. When you done get it aligned. Good luck...
                2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
                1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
                2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
                2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
                2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

What tools do I need, do I need to take the outer tierod out of the socket to replace the inner one?

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
                  2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

He did say the brakes "could pass" but the rotors are pretty shady.
                    i hope he doesnt look at a 2000 and newer 1500 or S10, those rotors rust out within 20K
                    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Oh Sorry. I forgot about private inspection stations. I live in Jersey where we have free state-run inspection stations. They arent trying to sell you anything, so they dont tell you stuff is broken that isnt. It sounds very possible that they are exaggerating or lying about the condition of your parts to make a sale. Like others have said. Get a 2nd opnion... Or check them yourself.
                      No F-Body right now

Comment

Explain to them too that youll do all of the work yourself and then bring it back to them, maybe it will change their opinion on the necessity of this venture.
                        -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

What tools do I need, do I need to take the outer tierod out of the socket to replace the inner one?
                          I'm not sure this is the correct one, but it's similar...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ACDelco-INNER-TI...ayphotohosting
                          2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
                          1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
                          2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
                          2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
                          2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

If I dont have one of those tools the steering rack needs to be removed? My Haynes manual sucks!!!!!

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
                            2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

They inspect your brakes up North for your inspection sticker???

Comment

Working...
                              X