how do the fuel lines disconnect?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do the fuel lines disconnect?

I just started taking my top end apart. I got all of the acc. off and i am ready to start taking the intake off. But first i need to know how to take the fuel rail off. I took the 4 bolts off the top yet it still seems that i am missing one or two. How do i get the fuel rail off? i know i have to take the fuel lines off...does that take a special tool? i really need some help and i thank you.
    -Jeff

Just 4 bolts holding the fuel rails on. There is some resistance from the injector o-rings in the manifold, but it pulls straight up. There are special tools for the fuel lines. They are real cheap and you should be able to get them at any auto parts store. And, while you're there, get a manual on your car.

Comment

I've found the injectors will pull out easier if you stand on one side, and pull up on the rail on the opposite side of the engine.... not sure why but they seem to pull up easier that way. If this is the first time you've had them off since the car was new, it may take a bit of leverage with a bar under the rail (protect the top of the intake and the bottom of the rail with a heavy rag). Obvioulsy you want to work the pry bar along the length of the rail, pulling up just a bit at each location until they come loose.

If you are not going to do anything to the rails, it is possible to leave the fuel lines connected, and simply flip the rails up on the windshield with the lines still attached.

Lisle makes a set of plastic fuel/AC line release tools for less than $10, and most auto part stores carry the Lisle tools.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
        Just 4 bolts holding the fuel rails on. There is some resistance from the injector o-rings in the manifold, but it pulls straight up. There are special tools for the fuel lines. They are real cheap and you should be able to get them at any auto parts store. And, while you're there, get a manual on your car.

way ahead of ya kevin, i got off work today and stopped at auto zone and got the quick disconnectors and a manual for my car, we're thinkin alike, only if i could always think this well... but yeah, i got the wrong disconnectors so im on my way back in town to get the other set i saw. only ten bucks, not to bad..and the manual shows complete tear down and rebuild, that was 17 or 18. i will have that the rest of my life. so thanks for your help, i will return with more questions!
        -Jeff

Comment

Working...
        X