Cam Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Help

OK, I started a new thread, continuing off of my last regarding cam selection. I am currently running the LT4 hotcam 218/224 @.050 .525 lift. I am running the LT4 springs. I want to run a cam that doesnt require machining to the head. I called COmbination Motorsports and they recommended a cam with these specs:

224/230 @.050 Lift: .573/.576 They also suggested grinding the cam 3 degrees advanced.

They recommended running the 918 beehive springs with stock lifters.

What do you guys think of this cam? To me, it doesnt look that much more radical that what ive got. Do you think this is going to make much of a power difference?
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Doesn't make sense. I talked to them a few months ago and for my car, which has a stock bottom end, the recommended this cam.
    227/233 duration, .560"/.569" 112 LSA

Now why they'd recommend that cam for you doesn't make much sense to me.

I told them I planned on porting the heads and putting a 4.10 in the rear. That was what they wanted to sell me. But I found out the springs I had bought wouldn't work so I didn't get it.

Weird man. Go as big as you can go
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28

Weird man. Go as big as you can go
      Theyre telling thats as big as I can go without machining the heads to accept stiffer springs.
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
        Theyre telling thats as big as I can go without machining the heads to accept stiffer springs.

i was just on the same subject in my post, what is the biggest cam you can put in an lt1? i dont want the "biggest" but i would like to get a nice size one, bigger than the lt4 hot cam.
        -Jeff

Comment

That sounds about right Sean. The +3 LSA will effectively help to build a little more cylinder pressure and produce a little more torque under the curve. It might slightly reduce your peak HP, but of course there is always that trade off. That cam that they recommended should make at least 20-25 more HP. Time for bigger jets!

Interesting they said the 918's will work with stock lifters. I did not know that. Combination knows their stuff bigtime. Who did you talk to BTW?

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
            That sounds about right Sean. The +3 LSA will effectively help to build a little more cylinder pressure and produce a little more torque under the curve. It might slightly reduce your peak HP, but of course there is always that trade off. That cam that they recommended should make at least 20-25 more HP. Time for bigger jets!

Interesting they said the 918's will work with stock lifters. I did not know that. Combination knows their stuff bigtime. Who did you talk to BTW?

Im wondering if its worth all that time, effort and money to gain another 25 horsepower. Perhaps, I will just upgrade the fuel system and run a bigger shot of nitrous? Maybe save the money for a time when I pull the heads and go with bigger springs to support a much larger cam.

Comment

Im wondering if its worth all that time, effort and money to gain another 25 horsepower. Perhaps, I will just upgrade the fuel system and run a bigger shot of nitrous? Maybe save the money for a time when I pull the heads and go with bigger springs to support a much larger cam.

how about some 4.10s to get the 60's down?

Comment

If I remember correctly you were still using the Hyper's right? I know you had them coated, but those might be the limiting factor right now in your setup. You could probably go another 50 HP on the hit, but anything past that would be a gamble on the Hyper's even being coated IMO.

Save until you can do the entire valvetrain at once. Maybe even have the heads massaged some more.

Is your goal to get the car in the 10's?

Comment

If I remember correctly you were still using the Hyper's right? I know you had them coated, but those might be the limiting factor right now in your setup. You could probably go another 50 HP on the hit, but anything past that would be a gamble on the Hyper's even being coated IMO.

Save until you can do the entire valvetrain at once. Maybe even have the heads massaged some more.

Is your goal to get the car in the 10's?
                  I suppose your right. I know the bottom end is just about at it's limit. The pistons are one issue, the two bolt mains are another. TO be honest, I think I worry about the lack of 4 bolt mains the most.

I will probably spray another 50 shot. Do you really think im pushing my luck with that? On a 100 horse shot, I make 460 HP and 560 ft/lbs to the wheels on a Mustang dyno. My lower end is a 2 bolt main, Scat crank, Forged Eagle rods, and coated KB hypers.

I am looking at this 2nd stage "add on". I thought this looked pretty cool for the price and it includes the nitrous controller. Pretty slick, IMOP.

http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...?idproduct=208

P.S. My goal is to just go faster. 10's would be nice. At the track, theyre telling me a 6 point cage is necessary to run any faster, so we'll see about 10's.

Comment

I suppose your right. I know the bottom end is just about at it's limit. The pistons are one issue, the two bolt mains are another. TO be honest, I think I worry about the lack of 4 bolt mains the most.

I will probably spray another 50 shot. Do you really think im pushing my luck with that? On a 100 horse shot, I make 460 HP and 560 ft/lbs to the wheels on a Mustang dyno. My lower end is a 2 bolt main, Scat crank, Forged Eagle rods, and coated KB hypers.

I am looking at this 2nd stage "add on". I thought this looked pretty cool for the price and it includes the nitrous controller. Pretty slick, IMOP.

http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...?idproduct=208

P.S. My goal is to just go faster. 10's would be nice. At the track, theyre telling me a 6 point cage is necessary to run any faster, so we'll see about 10's.
                    You would be surprised what the 2 bolt main caps can handle. Whether or not they will handle another 50 hit on your motor I really couldn't say. I will say I don't think that is your main concern though, I think it is the pistons.

I AM very interested to see, however, how that Swain Tech coating will hold up!

Comment

You would be surprised what the 2 bolt main caps can handle. Whether or not they will handle another 50 hit on your motor I really couldn't say. I will say I don't think that is your main concern though, I think it is the pistons.

I AM very interested to see, however, how that Swain Tech coating will hold up!
                      Thanks for your input. I think im going to order the extra stage of nitrous (dry shot). I will program the controller to launch off the 50 shot and then add the 100 wet shot when I shift into second. We'll see how that goes. I already ordered the Racetronix wiring harness to overdrive the fuel pump. Hopefully that remedies the fuel issues I had when jetting for the extra 50 HP.

AS for the coatings, I know Dan Swain personally (I am very good friends with his son) and we've talked about this issue. He said the pistons, when coated, are almost impossible to melt (from running lean), but cracking under the cylinder pressures is something I will have to worry about.

Comment

Working...
                      X