Trans X Fluid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans X Fluid

Anyone have luck with Trans X fluid for stopping a transmission gasket (front pump seal) leak? I already used 1 quart of Valvoline Stop Leak which didn't help any. In think this stuff is better.
    94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

drop the pan and replace the gasket...messy, but at least it'll stop and might as well replace the fluid. I wouldn't want all those additives mixing with the tranmission fluid.

Try Lucas. They make great products.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Its not the pan gasket. Its the front pump seal gasket, and only a transmission shop can do this kind of work a service station couldn't. Its expensive, and a lot of labor to get to. I was quoted at about 700.00 dollars, so thats not an option. I was worried about putting Trans X fluid in it after the Valvoline Stop Leak stuff (it looks like transmission fluid, so it cant be that much additive in it which is suppose to stop the leak). The Trans X fluid doesn't look like tranny fluid its a wierd red color.
      Anyone have luck with this stuff????
      94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

Comment

Originally posted by EquatorHeat00
        Its the front pump seal gasket
        ahhh...I missed that part.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

My dad's friend has been building transmissions since he was 18 years old, and now he's in his 40's. He puts Trans-X in every transmission that he works on. He says that it softens the seals, like when they were new, and it cleans out the solenoids. You could try it, but I don't know if it will stop leaking. I would pull the transmission out, and take it to a shop. That way, you know it won't leak.
          95 A4 Z28 with 146K miles

My DD is a 94 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd w/ 2/4 drop and 20" Centerline Stingray III's

Comment

Its not the pan gasket. Its the front pump seal gasket, and only a transmission shop can do this kind of work a service station couldn't. Its expensive, and a lot of labor to get to. I was quoted at about 700.00 dollars, so thats not an option. I was worried about putting Trans X fluid in it after the Valvoline Stop Leak stuff (it looks like transmission fluid, so it cant be that much additive in it which is suppose to stop the leak). The Trans X fluid doesn't look like tranny fluid its a wierd red color.
            Anyone have luck with this stuff????
            If its a big leak, its usually more than just the seal. The bushing is what holds back the fluid pressure. The seal is just meant to capture any risidual fluid seeping past the bushing. If its a large leak, chances are, its the bushing that is bad. Trans X (or any stop leak) wont do anything for it.
            96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
            11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

What do you consider a large leak? Do I need to put in two 15 oz. containers of Trans X fluid in? I just have 1 container now. I'm for the fluid to get low enough, so I can add the whole bottle. This was inspected at a service station, so if it was a bushing they would have figured that out.

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
                If its a big leak, its usually more than just the seal. The bushing is what holds back the fluid pressure. The seal is just meant to capture any risidual fluid seeping past the bushing. If its a large leak, chances are, its the bushing that is bad. Trans X (or any stop leak) wont do anything for it.
                Agreed, and replacing the front pump bushing and seals is not a major job.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                  Agreed, and replacing the front pump bushing and seals is not a major job.

Yes, and there is no way I would have them just replace the seal. IF they are in there, the bushing should be replaced.

And as far the service station diagnosing it properly. Perhaps they did. If they arent a trans shop, they may not have though. Regardless, have them replace the bushing too. Ive seen this very issue many times......a general repair shop assumes it is the seal leaking and goes through all the labor and time of yanking the trans, only to put it back in with the same leak they started with. This is a common misdiagnosis.
                  96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle

Comment

Can a service station replace bushings?

Comment

Can a service station replace bushings?
                      It would depend on the skill level of the technician. Some service stations are not capable of properly changing oil. Changing a pump bushing is not the most technical job in the world, but some general service techs dont do any internal transmission work. Although a pump bushing is a pretty basic job (as far as internal tranny work is concerned), some shops will refer it out to a transmission shop.

Comment

Working...
                      X