Freescan is so cool!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freescan is so cool!!

This winter I purchased a OBD1 cable from AKM Cables. Last night I got out the laptop, loaded freescan, pluged the cable in and gave it a shot.

One word: sweet!!!

The information it makes available is amazing. It appears my car is running well, I was not able to go for a drive and just idled in the garage. I'm really looking forward to having my dad drive the car while I play around with freescan.

Next step: Get Tunercat and make a few small tweaks.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Yea!! It's awesome!! What are your BLMs at during cell 16 (idle), 15/18 (WOT), partial throttle, etc?
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
      Yea!! It's awesome!! What are your BLMs at during cell 16 (idle), 15/18 (WOT), partial throttle, etc?

I dont remember. I'll have to make some notes next time I hook it up.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Or save the data to a csv file, right?
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
          This winter I purchased a OBD1 cable from AKM Cables. Last night I got out the laptop, loaded freescan, pluged the cable in and gave it a shot.

One word: sweet!!!

The information it makes available is amazing. It appears my car is running well, I was not able to go for a drive and just idled in the garage. I'm really looking forward to having my dad drive the car while I play around with freescan.

Next step: Get Tunercat and make a few small tweaks.

i was wondering how well it worked...i was thinkin about doing the same thing..dont you buy the cable and transfer the tuned data into the ecm/pcm from your laptop? is it like a full computer tune...cam size, air/fuel ratio, tune for bigger injectors and what not?
          -Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by 94formulaLT1
            i was wondering how well it worked...i was thinkin about doing the same thing..dont you buy the cable and transfer the tuned data into the ecm/pcm from your laptop? is it like a full computer tune...cam size, air/fuel ratio, tune for bigger injectors and what not?

no, freescan is a scan tool only. You cannot use it to modify the contents of the PCM. To do that you'll need Tunercat or LT1 Edit.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:

Comment

no, freescan is a scan tool only. You cannot use it to modify the contents of the PCM. To do that you'll need Tunercat or LT1 Edit.

ahh i see, i honestly know nothing about ecm/pcm tuning..its all new to me..but i would like to do that tuning process over my laptop, where would i get this tunercat or lt1 edit? do you first have to get the cable from AKM and then the program from them? i really would like some info on this because i dont feel like sending my ecm/pcm out to get tuned, so if i could do it in the comfort of my own garage it would be awesome.

one more thing, if i would get the cable, i would tell akm what mods i did(im rebuilding my whole top end as of now, just got the heads off) and they would program me a tune and send it to me over the net, i would then hook up to the ecm/pcm and upload the tune that way? am i close? thanks for your help.
              -Jeff

Comment

ahh i see, i honestly know nothing about ecm/pcm tuning..its all new to me..but i would like to do that tuning process over my laptop, where would i get this tunercat or lt1 edit? do you first have to get the cable from AKM and then the program from them? i really would like some info on this because i dont feel like sending my ecm/pcm out to get tuned, so if i could do it in the comfort of my own garage it would be awesome.

one more thing, if i would get the cable, i would tell akm what mods i did(im rebuilding my whole top end as of now, just got the heads off) and they would program me a tune and send it to me over the net, i would then hook up to the ecm/pcm and upload the tune that way? am i close? thanks for your help.
                AKM only sells cables, he does not do custom tunes. You can download LT1Edit or freescan off the net, just google them. If you want somebody to do a custom tune for you you'll need to contact a place that specializes in that like MadZ28.

Go check out the PCM tuning forum at CamaroSS.Com They have a whole forum dedicated to PCM tuning.
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:

Comment

I'm not sure if AKM actually tunes the PCM, but I may have missed that on their website. After you have the cable and either TunerCat or LT1Edit, I believe that you have everything that you need to program the PCM. You can then either program it yourself, or get a mail order tune. Many of the places that do mail order tunes can email the tune to you, instead of havng you ship the PCM to them so they can program it. If you plan on getting a mail order tune emailed to you, contact the tuner, so you can buy tuning software that is compatible with the file that they send you.

Also, if you are into electronics, you can build your own cable for around $10 - $15. Ive done it, and it wasn't that difficult. The only problem is that I haven'y found plans for a USB cable, just a serial one. If your laptop doesn't have a serial port, you'll have to get a USB cable, or a USB to serial adapter. Most adapters won't work with the software, so you'll have to consult the software's user manual for the recommended adapter. If you do want to make your own cable, the schematics can be found here http://www.aldlcable.com/sc/pages.asp?id=24. When I made mine, I used the two-transistor circuit.
                  95 A4 Z28 with 146K miles

My DD is a 94 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd w/ 2/4 drop and 20" Centerline Stingray III's

Comment

I've got an online guide to scan data that may help you interpret what you are seeing:

http://members.aol.com/InjuneerZZ/ScanMast.htm
                    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                      I've got an online guide to scan data that may help you interpret what you are seeing:

http://members.aol.com/InjuneerZZ/ScanMast.htm
                      That is an excellent write-up, Fred. I read it twice prior to ordering my cable from AKM. I learn more every time I read it again.
                      Tracy
                      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                      Current Mods:

Comment

Originally posted by AJ52486
                        I'm not sure if AKM actually tunes the PCM, but I may have missed that on their website. After you have the cable and either TunerCat or LT1Edit, I believe that you have everything that you need to program the PCM. You can then either program it yourself, or get a mail order tune. Many of the places that do mail order tunes can email the tune to you, instead of havng you ship the PCM to them so they can program it. If you plan on getting a mail order tune emailed to you, contact the tuner, so you can buy tuning software that is compatible with the file that they send you.

Also, if you are into electronics, you can build your own cable for around $10 - $15. Ive done it, and it wasn't that difficult. The only problem is that I haven'y found plans for a USB cable, just a serial one. If your laptop doesn't have a serial port, you'll have to get a USB cable, or a USB to serial adapter. Most adapters won't work with the software, so you'll have to consult the software's user manual for the recommended adapter. If you do want to make your own cable, the schematics can be found here http://www.aldlcable.com/sc/pages.asp?id=24. When I made mine, I used the two-transistor circuit.

so in theory, i could tune my own ecm with my laptop..? all i would have to do is make or buy a cable, download lt1 edit or another one, use the lt1 edit to put all of the mods i put into my car, then upload it into my ecm..right?
                        -Jeff

Comment

so in theory, i could tune my own ecm with my laptop..? all i would have to do is make or buy a cable, download lt1 edit or another one, use the lt1 edit to put all of the mods i put into my car, then upload it into my ecm..right?
                          pretty much. You'll need to spend a few hours learning about the programming in the PCM, though.

HERE is a link to a .csv file log of my car idling. I've already got some tuning done to it, so the desired idle is 700 RPM. It sounds much nicer at idle tis way.
                          Tracy
                          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                          Current Mods:

Comment

Not a theory. Get the cable and LT1 Edit or TunerCat and you can program it. LT1 Edit also comes with a scanner, editor, and burn program. You can also get Datamaster for free, but it's limited to 20 free recordings, however, you can run it in monitor mode forever. It's about a hundred or so if you buy it - Andrew once had a package deal for Datamaster & a cable, but I don't know if he still offers it. Andrew used to be on this BB in the old days.

Comment

pretty much. You'll need to spend a few hours learning about the programming in the PCM, though.

HERE is a link to a .csv file log of my car idling. I've already got some tuning done to it, so the desired idle is 700 RPM. It sounds much nicer at idle tis way.

Wow, nice readings. If you don't mind, could you share some under normal cruising and/or possibly WOT, if you ever do that?

Comment

Working...
                              X