Freeze Plugs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeze Plugs?

My 3.8 today started leaking under the hood. I think it is the freeze plugs. I know its radiator fluid because it's green. Also it's at the back of the motor. I was told it could be freeze plugs. Are those hard to change and could it be this?

When my freeze plug developed a leak, I used something similar to this: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...rtnumber=14600

I think mine said 350 degrees max though. I know it's not a perfect repair, but it was a quick easy job and has luckily held up for 6 years and counting. Not sure if that would be in all cases.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

I was wanting to know how hard it to put new ones in.

Comment

Before you just assume it's the freeze plugs, why don't you verify where the coolant leak is originating first. With the conventional green stuff, you can get a black light and look under the hood in the dark. The coolant will glow bright green. If someone has ever put any type of dye into the refrigerant system, it will also glow and it's usually green as well.

To R&R a freeze plug, you simply tap the old one out using a punch and a hammer and hit on the edge of the freez plug carefully but firmly. Clean the freeze plug opening on the block really well. To install the new freeze plug, simply coat it with a little RTV, then tap into place gently by using a socket or pipe that is just slightly smaller than the diameter of the freeze plug.

Comment

Working...
        X