Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know anything about power windows???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know anything about power windows???

Ok so my passenger side window works perfectly...my driver side...not so much. 67.8% of the time, it works fine, the other 32.2% it will go up or down half way at full strength, then slow to a halt. If i wait a few seconds it will scoot up or down about an inch or so...then stop...a few more seconds...another inch. A minute or so gives me a couple inches. Then if my car sits over night then it will be good to go for one trip down and MAYBE one trip up. I have no clue. I changed the switch out and it seemed to fix it. For a week. But now it's same old same old, so maybe it was coincidence on the switch...any ideas?
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/711359

Thats the power window motor going out. Mine did that a few months after I bought my car (used). I got a motor from ebay (the one that said US made) and it has worked fine. You can go to a mechanic and see how much it will be to replace it. It will only get worse. If you replace it yourself be careful there is a spring with load on it in there and you could hurt yourself if your not careful.

Once in the winter I got stoped by the R.I.D.E. programs here and had to lower my window to tell the cop I wasn't drinking and it took me 30 mins to get it up again, 1 inch at a time. It was a cold drive
    94 Formula Firebird, 355, heads port and polished, cc503 cam, 30# injectors, PCMforless Tune, B&M 2400 stall, K&N CAI, BBK Sorty Headers, Magnaflow Highflow Cat, Borla Catback exhaust with electronic cutout.

Comment

and if the ebay auction doesnt' say ANYTHING about being US made or not?

Comment

You will find that there are two differently priced motors on E-Bay. And of course.. The more expensive ones are usually better. If you get a cheap one... Expect to have to replace the motor again in a year or so.
        No F-Body right now

Comment

you don't have to get them on ebay, I did and had no problem. I think it was $40 US. You can get them at a dealer or your mechanic can get them for you, but if you replace the motor it should fix your problem in time for summer The ebay one didn't come with bolts or rivits to mount it so keep that in mind. I had a small auto window repair shop install the motor for me and it was fairly inexpencive (he did curse alot though and said it was harder then normal to install ).
          94 Formula Firebird, 355, heads port and polished, cc503 cam, 30# injectors, PCMforless Tune, B&M 2400 stall, K&N CAI, BBK Sorty Headers, Magnaflow Highflow Cat, Borla Catback exhaust with electronic cutout.

Comment

define fairly inexpensive? i found the motor from my buddies work for 55 with a lifetime warranty...and i would like to put it in myself but if its a pain in the nut to do....meh...

Comment

All the local parts chains (Autozone, NAPA, CarQuest, O Reilly, etc.) carry the window regulators(motor) as well.

I think they are under $45.

Comment

yeah that is where the 54 dollar one is from...i was wondering about the install...

Comment

I paid $54 Canadian for the install but I went to a vary inexpencive place. He did this repair alot and worked quickly but it took him over a hour to do it with me watching. the spring is something to look out for because you could get hurt. He took it on and off with vice grips and you have to watch out that the window dosn't fall when your takeing it apart. My door assembly looked totaly diffrent from the one on shoeboxes site (his is from a camaro) just as a warning.

Comment

Like most LT1/4th Gen F-Body related topics, Shoebox has the best references on the 'net. I'm surprised that the Camaro doors would be all that much different than the Firebirds:

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
                    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I actuly printed out his guide for replacement of the motor and had it with me when the shop was doing it. Same concept but it just looked diffrent. The guy doing the work didn't have to drill any holes or anything he removed the rivits that were there and replaced them all, with a little hassle (and some choice words )

Comment

I just replaced the driver's side window motor on my 95 Camaro. I think it took around an hour to do. I just removed the door panel, and then removed the 2 screws that hold the motor to the bracket that is riveted in. I put the new one in the same place and bolted it up. It was actually very easy. I've never seen what they look like on a Firebird, so they may be completely different.
                        95 A4 Z28 with 146K miles

My DD is a 94 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd w/ 2/4 drop and 20" Centerline Stingray III's

Comment

Here's from someone who was scared as heck to try it himself...

I went through the dealer and now feel not so smart!

I paid $145 for the part. On top of that the dealer charged me $200 to install it. In the process they destroyed my window tint as well.

On this note... I first called the local Pontiac dealer for a quote. It was $125 more than the Chevy dealer charged me. So the lesson here is call around if you are not brave like me!

Comment

Working...
                          X