Streetable car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Streetable car

Ok so school is nearing its end for me, and with my internship this summer before my last year i should be making a decent amount of money. So im thinking about my project which will soon begin. Ive been away for too long. Im not looking at building an everyday driver. I plan to build a toy. My first question is, is a 900 hp lt1 car streetable? Im pretty sure if it was turbo and there was boost control it would be, but what about if it was supercharged? My second would be how to get around emissions? Is there anything i can do seens as it wont be a daily driver? I live in CT. Thanks guys.

ken
    ~~~The Twisted One~~~

My 30th is gone but soon a new era will begin.

900HP is pure insanity.

The new Z06 is 505hp and is fast. As a refrence check this link out:

www.carolinaautomasters.com/pinksstory.php

Thats a heavily modified LT1 engine with 746hp 821ft-lb. Your shooting for something that would smoke this? Cost alone would be insane.

I don't mean to be disrespectful but a high 400hp or 500hp car would be REALY FUN to drive and be done alot easier for a toy.
    94 Formula Firebird, 355, heads port and polished, cc503 cam, 30# injectors, PCMforless Tune, B&M 2400 stall, K&N CAI, BBK Sorty Headers, Magnaflow Highflow Cat, Borla Catback exhaust with electronic cutout.

Comment

I drive an 800HP "streetable" LT1. 500HP on motor, and a 300-shot of dry nitrous. Is it "streetable" to the extent that it passes NJ rolling emissions (but not "visual") and is relatively docile to drive on the street..... not a lot different than when it was stock (all this was before it was "retired" from the street and turned into a "track only" car).

The 500HP level is marginal on the street.... a high stall converter and 4.11 gears make it "traction challenged". I run 315/35-17 BFG Drag radials as my street tires, and it is very easy to over power them. As far as nitrous, I've sprayed a single stage 135HP on the street, but it only useful in 2nd gear. It would run the 135-shot on pump gas plus a bit of 100-octane. I wouldn't even attempt to spray the 300-shot (and only while running C-16.... $9.00 a gallon), except maybe from a 70mph roll.

I've also spent a lot of time riding in, and actually driving a 30th SS convertible, that gradually pushed its way from 750HP to 1,125HP, running a 383 LT1 and a Vortech S/C. At the 750HP level, running 315 BFG T/A Radials, it had very little in the way of traction. Again, at the 900+HP level it was foolish to even attempt to use the power at anything under a 70-80mph roll.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

i know what your saying with the insanity, but im known for that. I just dont want to do it more than once. The way i was thinking was making the car ready for that, putting a motor pushing 500 in it, and then when im ready giving it boost. Ive heard stories of people with mustangs and supras with 900 hp that they drive around. Never ran into these cars tho so i dont know how true it is.
        ~~~The Twisted One~~~

Comment

900 HP at the crank is completely streetable and is becoming more and more common to see on the street. Like you mentioned, having a turbo car makes it all the MORE streetable. Sure traction might be take some creativity and a much bigger tire, but that's half the fun!

I've driven several customer's cars that we have done work to that were making over 800 RWHP, over 1000 RWHP in a '01 Z06. They all were turbo cars and were perfectly behaved on the street. You could take them on a road trip with absolutely no problems, then turn around to go make a single digit pass at your local dragstrip.

There is absolutely nothing that would prevent you from making a 900 HP car "streetable". Easy money....

Comment

Thats what i need, easy money. lol. No i think if i start slowly by the time the i graduate i should have a job with pay and a decent sign on bonus (the program i am in has a 99% job placement program, and they say that you should start at 50k) well see how it goes. So how bout the emissions question?
            ~~~The Twisted One~~~

Comment

Sorry I didn't mean to call you insaine

It's just that 900hp is alot. As Fred hinted at, each state/provence has its own emissions laws so you would have to look that up for your state. Some are more strict then others.

What is common is that your car has to pass an emissions test (where they hook a sensor up to your exhaust and see what comes out) and these levels can varry as to what is acceptable. With a properly tuned engine you should be able to pass this. The other one is a visual test where they see if your car has everything to control emissions that your car had originaly still inplace.

As for mods, if you plan to take your car up in steps plan out what your final goal is for your car and brake it up into benchmarks. You wont waste money that way and get to your final goal easier. Also dont forget to think about brakes, suspension and rear ends all should be upgraded to handle that kind of power
              94 Formula Firebird, 355, heads port and polished, cc503 cam, 30# injectors, PCMforless Tune, B&M 2400 stall, K&N CAI, BBK Sorty Headers, Magnaflow Highflow Cat, Borla Catback exhaust with electronic cutout.

Comment

yea i we just do a sniff test in ct. Im pretty sure they dont do a visual. Dont worry, i get the insane thing ALOT, not just for my wanting to have a 900HP car. Everything from the stuff i do on the mountain on skis or a board to my intensity in the gym. It may be said alot, but its not clinically proven! Yea i havent thought about these plans in a while. I dont even have a car start with right now. But soon. Im just going through some brainstorming right now.
                ~~~The Twisted One~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ken(Bone Breakin Chevy)
                  yea i we just do a sniff test in ct. Im pretty sure they dont do a visual. Dont worry, i get the insane thing ALOT, not just for my wanting to have a 900HP car. Everything from the stuff i do on the mountain on skis or a board to my intensity in the gym. It may be said alot, but its not clinically proven! Yea i havent thought about these plans in a while. I dont even have a car start with right now. But soon. Im just going through some brainstorming right now.
                  if its a 97 they just plug into the comp. where in CT u live? u can do it, theres 700RWHP cobras and 600+ RWHP Turbo LS1 cars where i live
                  2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I live in seymour. What would they do if it was 1994-1996. Cus for what im gonna do i want to get the cheapest car i can.
                    ~~~The Twisted One~~~

Comment

u go on the rollers. my ex is from seymour. ur best bet is to make sure what ever u pick, u make sure it has EGR, and keep the air system if u have it. and if u have to, build a 400hp motor and throw a 300 shot at it

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

So the only way to not have to worry about the emissions would be to have a car that is 20 yrs old or older?
                        ~~~The Twisted One~~~

Comment

In NJ "antiques" are 25 years or older, and do not need emissions checks. I think there may be a limit on miles per year when you get the "QQ" plates. There is also a "LUMP" classification, for "collector cars"..... limited use modified production, or something like that - exempt from any inspections, except to verify the odometer reading. The "catch" is that you have to have a specific "collector car" insurance policy, and are limited to 2,500 miles per year. Up until a few years ago, there were no insurance companies authorized to sell collector car insurance in NJ, so it was "Catch 22". Now there are several collector car insurance carriers, but many of them will not insure "race cars"..... which might be their interpretation if they see things like a roll bar and nitrous.... .
                          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

stupid laws ruining all my fun.
                            ~~~The Twisted One~~~

Comment

CT is 25 years also. hence the reason im a lil mad i had to sell my 83 trans am, only had a couple years left . personally i would get a thirdgen cuz any SBC GEN 1 motor or BBC Gen 1 motor will bolt right in, the cars are cheaper and the aftermarket is really coming alive with parts

Comment

Working...
                              X