Stroker cam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stroker cam

Just had my Lt1 turned into a stroker and it blew a rod and now I'm looking to put a bigger cam in on the new rebuild. My goal is to hit "close" to 500hp to the wheels with a dyno tune when done. Was wondering if anybody knew of a big cam or if a custom grind would be best? Also was wondering if anybody has a stroker with a big cam and what their grind was and how they liked it. Doesn't have to be street friendly either.

It's not impossible to get 500 to the wheels on a naturally aspirated LT1, but you have to have a pretty trick setup. I had a 383" LT4 with a 258/266 @ .050", .610"/.610", 109.5 LSA solid roller camshaft. It put 488 to the tire. I could have gone ALOT bigger with the camshaft and it would have put me over 500. That cam had just a little bit of surge but I don't about cars being streetable like some. I was also running a vacuum pump that was pulling right at 21" from the crankcase.

Do you have any flow or port velocity numbers on your heads?

Comment

I asked my mechanic and he said he ported and polished the heads to match the gasket. Also did a three angle valve grind and port and polish of intake manifold. I already have ceramic coated LT headers with true duals with a ram air intake so I have the setup to help the cam "breathe".

Comment

You are going to need much more than just a simple gasket match port job. You will need a fully ported head to get anywhere close to 500 RWHP. You are going to need a fairly large solid roller cam, fully ported heads, a 58mm TB, at least 1 3/4 headers, some fairly serious static compression, a good oil pan setup, a stout ignition, a stout fuel system, etc., etc..

You could achieve 500 RWHP with a hydraulic cam, but it would have to be huge and would likely not be very street friendly.

Comment

What were your port number for your heads, and what size injectors were you running?

Comment

Originally posted by 383Formula
            What were your port number for your heads, and what size injectors were you running?
            If you mean what were my flow numbers, they were I believe 309 CFM @ .600". We also did a little more work on the short side radius and valve stem boss so they probably flowed about 4-5 CFM more after that.

I was using 30 lb/hr SVO's and they were maxed out. I really needed a 42 lb/hr.

Comment

Working...
            X