Preventive Maintenance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventive Maintenance

I heard before about connecting a rubber tube to the water pump somehow, so when it goes/leaks it won't ruin the opti. I want to get this done at a service station next time I have it in if they can do this type of work. Give me the details please, so they don't look at me like I'm crazy. lol
    94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

i believe they just take a rubber 90degree piece of tubing and push it in the weephole then connect a rubber hose to it so that it will drain off to the side.
    1997 Camaro Z28 Pacesetter Long tubes, ORY-Pipe, Accel 30# Injectors, MSD Cap & Rotor, MSD Super Conductor Wires, NGK Irdium TR55IV Plugs, and Borla Catback. Madtuner Tune, SLP High/Low fan switch, NGK o2 sensors

New Longblock at 110,947 and everything above.

Comment

This is for the Lt-1 and probably the Lt-4 engines. When you replace the water pump, drill out the weep hole in the bottom of the water pump with a 3/16" drill. Glue in a 3/16" plastic vacum 90 deg. elbow. Install the pump. Then run a couple of feet of 3/16" vacum hose from the elbow over to the steering rack, and wire tie it to the rack. When the pump fails, the coolant will drip in a noticeable place, and not on the opti spark.

There ja go!
      The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

or you could tap it for a brass elbow and run a rubber line off of that.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
        Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
        6.2L/382.97 ci
        Custom PROM Dyno tuned
        WCT-5 speed
        BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
        Boss MS 18" Rims
        Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
        Custom Dual exhaust
        1LE upgrade
        Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
        In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

I used a small hose from the windscreen washer jets of an old car, and the small plastic elbow fitted perfectly in the weep hole, then routed the hose to the battery area . the hose is clear so I can see if there is anything in it
          93 t/a A4 3.23s
          95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
          99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
          99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
          97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
          93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
          00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

"or you could tap it for a brass elbow and run a rubber line off of that."

I doubt whether there is enough room between the bottom of the pump and the opti-spark.

The last one I've done has lasted two years and 50,000 miles with just being pressed and glued in.
            The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

I used a brass elbow, drilled and tapped out the hole myself but I had a mechanic install it not me so I dont know how tight of a fit it was. I did it over a year ago and no problems yet.
              94 Formula Firebird, 355, heads port and polished, cc503 cam, 30# injectors, PCMforless Tune, B&M 2400 stall, K&N CAI, BBK Sorty Headers, Magnaflow Highflow Cat, Borla Catback exhaust with electronic cutout.

Comment

Working...
              X