Possibly starter problem, cant figure it out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibly starter problem, cant figure it out

i have a 95 LT-1 Six speed with an underdrive pulley kit on it. when i try to start it, i turn the key, it clicks once, and wont start. the thing is, if u hold it in the start position, it will start, SOMETIMES. the battery is fully charged and new, alternator is new. when the car does decide to start, the charge gauge stays just below the norm, and the battery will start to lose its power. i had the car sit for about 3 weeks, when i got back, the battery was as dead as a doornail. not a single volt left in it.. could a new starter solve all these problems?????? i hope so!! please help
    1995 Firebird Formula. LT-1 6 speed, underdrive system, k&n cold air intake. SLP exhaust no cats. just got the car, list will grow

Starters are cheap and easy to replace and that's where I would start. There are a number of places surrounding the various starter internals that could be intermittently shorted and cause significant amperage draw from the battery

Comment

ahh, that sounds reassuring of what i think it is too.. thanks alot!!!
      1995 Firebird Formula. LT-1 6 speed, underdrive system, k&n cold air intake. SLP exhaust no cats. just got the car, list will grow

Comment

definately check for shorted out stuff first before you go ahead replacing the starter motor.

Comment

how could i start to find something shorting? it could be anything. of course if i get a starter and the problem persists, i can always take it back and say it wouldn't fit

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdLT1Bird
            how could i start to find something shorting? it could be anything. of course if i get a starter and the problem persists, i can always take it back and say it wouldn't fit
            Exactly...

Comment

Working...
            X