CCC Safe For 5.0 V8?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCC Safe For 5.0 V8?

Hi quick question, is your standard combustion chamber cleaner (carb cleaner) safe for 1989 5.0 V8 TPI motor, just asking because I remeber when i was working at a chrysler dealership one of the other mechanics told me to always check before doing it on performance oriented vehicles and that you couldent use the stuff on 5.0 Mustangs becuase they have a rubber peice behind the throttle plate someplace, so if anyone knows please inform me, thanks alot!
    1989 Camaro IROC-Z 5.0 TPI Auto (Away For Winter)
    -Flowmaster With 3 Inch SS Tips
    1989 Plymouth Reliant 2.5 TBI Auto
    -65,000 Original KM And No Rust Beater

The reason you aren't supposed to use carb cleaner on a throttle body is because (in theory) the throttle blades have a coating on them to resist "coking" (carbon buildup) and the carb cleaner is strong enough to remove the coating. The "throttle body" cleaner is made milder to avoid harming the coating.

Given the age of the car, it might not make much difference.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

You could try some denatured alcohol. It's not nearly as caustic as carb cleaner.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys!
        1989 Camaro IROC-Z 5.0 TPI Auto (Away For Winter)
        -Flowmaster With 3 Inch SS Tips
        1989 Plymouth Reliant 2.5 TBI Auto
        -65,000 Original KM And No Rust Beater

Comment

Working...
        X