Cutout Wing Nuts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutout Wing Nuts

The bolts on my cutout arent staying on tight anymore. (They loosen over time. Drove the car today heard this rattling underneath the car it was the cutout wing nuts all loose. First time this has happened on the road. Hae had a couple other times where they were loose though when I was taking the cap off.) All I can think of too fix this is too buy some washers like 2 for each wing nut place it in between the wing nut, and cap cover. Keep it tight where the threads are better. Would this work, but its only a temporary fix until they loosen as well???
    94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

If you don't uncap the cutouts very often, try using some Loctite. Any parts store will have it.

Comment

Heard a faint wierd sound coming from underneath the car last 2 days. Related to this topic. Guess what a wing nut is missing. lol How can I fix this problem, and still be able to use it. I'm not a big fan of the cutout anyways, so if I have to get rid of it its fine by me just don't want to pay for the removal. lol (And get my ground clearance back again. 1 mod I didn't really care for to a great degree.) Would replacement wing nuts help any, or washers to get to better thread? Can I get this at auto parts store that will fit correctly?
      94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

Comment

Originally posted by EquatorHeat00
        Heard a faint wierd sound coming from underneath the car last 2 days. Related to this topic. Guess what a wing nut is missing. lol How can I fix this problem, and still be able to use it. I'm not a big fan of the cutout anyways, so if I have to get rid of it its fine by me just don't want to pay for the removal. lol (And get my ground clearance back again. 1 mod I didn't really care for to a great degree.) Would replacement wing nuts help any, or washers to get to better thread? Can I get this at auto parts store that will fit correctly?
        You can get some Nylock wingnuts. But, I have never been a fan of cutouts myself. They barely add any power and they sound like absolute crap, even on heavily modded motors. I love the sound of open headers though.

Comment

Does an auto parts store have nylock wingnuts that will fit. I don't really know what they are, but if its a cheap fix I'll get it. Let me know. If I could get a free removal of my cutout i would do it. lol

Comment

Originally posted by EquatorHeat00
            Does an auto parts store have nylock wingnuts that will fit. I don't really know what they are, but if its a cheap fix I'll get it. Let me know. If I could get a free removal of my cutout i would do it. lol
            They may or may not. For stuff like that I always go to a fastener specialty store. We have a chain of stores named Fastenal here that carry every nut bolt you can ever think of. Do you guys have those? Ace Hardware, Home Depot, and Lowe's carry a good selection of fasteners as well.

Comment

Problem has been fixed this morning.

Comment

Working...
              X