Camaro in the snow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camaro in the snow

does anyone here drive a camaro in the snow during the winter? If so, do you use winter tires? what is the best thing for me to do?
    will snow tires make the difference. i need to get my car up some hills and so on, and im not sure how i will do.... or should i just get a second car...

For a little more than the cost of snow tires I buy a winter rat. Crash it into things, drive it into ditches, never wash it - It doesnt matter because I only paid 300 bucks. It is well worth it to save the wear and tear on your nice ride. You'll save the money in body damage from the salt and sand alone. I hate winter.

By the way, Blizzacks are the best snow tire I know of.
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

I would recommend a second car. Snow tires would be my second option. But, even then you will have problems if the snow is too deep. F-bods don't have enough clearance for deep snow. that's my opinion.

Andy
      '94 Formula M6, XE224/230 w/1.6 RR's, hardened pushrods, Comp R lifters, SLP ceramic coated shorties, Random Tech cat., Flowmaster cat-back, CSI water pump, vented opti, PCM tuning by Spraytheway, BMR k-member, SFC's, DSL, LCA's & brackets, adj. PHR
      339 RWHP, 341 RWTQ
      '00 S-10 ZR2

Comment

ya, it looks like im getting a 1990 Toyota Camry to beat on for the winter... $800, and it comes with a set of studded snows on rims... so thats not a bad deal..

Comment

I drive my 87 Dodge Omni. Its got the turbo for go fast, but keep out of the boost and it does OK in the snow. I love that thing. Doors are falling off its so rusty, but boy it moves. Last weekend, I stuffed my ATV into the hatchback and brought it down to the sandpits (yea I know I should get a trailor). Its the all purpose machine.

96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

schweet! sounds like a killer ride...

Comment

LoL!!! I love this forum...great people.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
              Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
              B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
              Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
              Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

hell ya!

Comment

A buddy of mine threw studded tires on his Z and said he got around just fine in the snow. He is now selling the Camaro to get a truck so he never has to drive it in the snow again. Just something he hated to put the car through. I'm get a beater pretty soon also.
                  97 SS #C007
                  Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
                  SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

Before I bought my house, I commuted 72 miles one way between Denver and Monument, CO elev 7,300 ft. The winter was brutal but doable. One afternoon I ran into an ice storm on some pretty treacherous hills in Woodmore where I lived. A FWD mini-van with all seasons was done on the side of the road spinning its tires in a futile effort, but I persevered with my 20% Goodyear GS-Cs up the hill and home. After that, I bought a set of BFG KDWS'. They have to be the best cross Z rated rain and snow tire I have ever used. I loved them, and I never had a problem after that. However, I grew up with tons and tons of snow so I learned on that stuff. Anyhow, If the weather got sooooo bad that I couldn't drive the T/A, I pulled out the beast, '77 K5 Blazer which was rare because I couldn't afford 11mpg driving 140 miles a day.
                    '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                    '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                    '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                    '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                    '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                    My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I do skinney 215's all season radials for the winter in SW Michigan. Since I'm not a "do or die" get to work guy (sales) I wait for the roads to get plowed. A weekly car wash, with the underbody flush keeps it looking good.
                      The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

I drove my Z all of last winter. The traction control system helped out a lot, but the car just isn't very comfortable to drive in the snow. You have to be extra careful and God forbid you hit any snow once you are up to speed...you may just end of spinning off of the side of the freeeway at 70mph

I would strongly recommend finding something else, even if it's a FWD POS just for the snowy days.
                        1999 Camaro Z28
                        Stock
                        Light Pewter Metallic

(For sale soon)

Comment

Working...
                        X