lt4..what cam?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lt4..what cam?

okay guys i am now probably going to be getting the lt4 conversion for my car. but the thing is everyone and their brother has it so i want to make mine a little different. so i want to get a different cam. what would you recommend. i am looking for a cam a little bigger than the hotcam. maybe someone can help me out.
    -Jeff

Where are you buying the "LT4 Conversion" package? GM no longer sells it because they have discontinued some of the parts, like the LT4 intake manifold.

Why would you buy the kit? For a lot less, you could have your stock LT1 heads ported, get a cam specifically matched to the heads, and make at least 50-75 more HP than the LT4 conversion.

http://www.eportworks.com/
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Jeff, like Fred mentioned, the LT4 conversion package was discontinued. However you can still get the LT4 intake manifold and LT4 castings from a few places. Last time I talked to Combination Motorsports, they still had a line on both.

I agree that it would just be easier and better to port your own LT1 heads.

I asked you before......why are you so against using your own LT1 heads?

Comment

The LT4 intake has been selling on Ebay for about $900. Good luck if you can afford that...
        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I had Comp's 503 cam with 1.6 roller rockers and it was a little bigger than GM's Hot Cam.

Comment

Here is a guy selling a complete ported LT4 top end including gasket kits and everything for $1500.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427103

Just one example; you'll find dozens more online in For Sale sections on various forums.

Comment

Only problem, you're not reading the "fine print". He's not selling the LT4 intake with the $1500 package. Add about $950 to his "great price" for the real deal...about $2500.

Not so great anymore...

Because the intake is so expensive, the heads have dropped in value.
              Al 96 Ram Air T/A
              Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                Only problem, you're not reading the "fine print". He's not selling the LT4 intake with the $1500 package. Add about $950 to his "great price" for the real deal...about $2500.

Not so great anymore...

Because the intake is so expensive, the heads have dropped in value.
                Did I once say that the above aforementioned For Sale ad included a LT4 intake? I'll answer that for you......no.

And you don't have a very good knowledge of what things are worth. The fully ported fully assemble LT4 heads alone are worth the $1500.

BTW, trying to suggest that a price for a specific part is somehow the fair market value or the 'going rate' for that part based upon it's common price on ebay is not very smart. I 've seen pieces of grilled cheese toast that reportedly resemble Jesus go for $20,000. So what's your point??

I can get my hands on several LT4 intake manifolds for less than $300. In fact I just saw 2 of them a a small local swap meet. There are likely to be a bunch at the national swap meet at the Texas Motor Speedway this coming weekend.

Comment

Kevin...buddy...ease up. No flame intended Just making conversation.

I was just trying to support Fred's opinion (as well as mine) that because the LT4 package has been discontinued, the argument to do the LT4 conversion over porting LT1 castings no longer holds water...that's all.

Granted, if you look hard and long enough, you can find good deals out there. However, trust, for me at least, comes at a high price. Would I spend $1500 on used, ported LT4 heads that suffered damage requiring repair...maybe...maybe not. Now, if it was someone like Fred or Ken selling them...I'd buy them in a heartbeat. Why? Trust.

But hey...to each his own
                  Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

I've suggested to him all along to just get his LT1 heads ported. We shouldn't make him feel bad or naive in some way just because he has his heart set on the LT4 setup. If he really wants to go the LT4 route, then by all means, I will help him to find the LT4 parts.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                      I've suggested to him all along to just get his LT1 heads ported. We shouldn't make him feel bad or naive in some way just because he has his heart set on the LT4 setup. If he really wants to go the LT4 route, then by all means, I will help him to find the LT4 parts.
                      i thank you guys for your opinions..i would love to use my stock parts right now, for the main reason that i wouldnt have to try to sell them and get screwed. i am looking to make horsepower and torque, i am willing to do anything it takes. i need some help though. i am experienced in engines but not as experienced as you guys. please please please help me. i will listen to you, i just have to be sure. I know of a machine shop not to far away from my house that does a great job. if you promised me the lt4 package wasnt what it was cracked up to be, i would believe you. i have no reason not to. i want either kevin or fred to IM me at Black Ice M1 ..even both, we'll open a chat room on aim so we can talk and figure out what i want. it would take such less time to do it that way. if you guys said LT1 heads can be ported and machined, i would go out the very next day and get estimates from a couple places. im desperate. as much as i just want to get this done and the lt4 package would be easier, i want to do it right. and maybe i want something a little different so when someone asks me what did i do, i can name off everything, instead of saying "yeah i put the lt4 package in"... boring. so lets do this. i will be expecting one of you guys to IM me. thanks a lot for your help and now we can get somewhere.
                      -Jeff

Comment

Working...
                      X