Need Answers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Answers

MadZ28 tune, and 160F T-Stat. are all in. Is the car suppose to sound a lot quieter at idle then the stock tune? My car was, so quiet I'm concerned if its normal, or something is wrong. Is this because of the leaning of the gas, and am this wont hurt the engine in anyway? How much more mileage should I get on a tank of gas now? Thermostat installation didn't go smooth had air pockets finally got it all out took a long time.

My rubber elbow air duct got a couple of rips on it where the metal fastener goes around, but its not ripped in the portion where air can get through. (Happened today when I used screwdriver to get it around the fitting. Its not very strong.) Should I replace this? If, so is there a good performance1, or is it just as good as the stock 1.

Did I cause any damage when I turned the car on with the air duct was off, and sensor WAS disconnected because the car started then shut off. So I decided that wasnt smart, so I put the duct back on then started the car, and it started with no problem.
    94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

Originally posted by EquatorHeat00
    MadZ28 tune, and 160F T-Stat. are all in. Is the car suppose to sound a lot quieter at idle then the stock tune? My car was, so quiet I'm concerned if its normal, or something is wrong. Is this because of the leaning of the gas, and am this wont hurt the engine in anyway? How much more mileage should I get on a tank of gas now? Thermostat installation didn't go smooth had air pockets finally got it all out took a long time.
    They typically do not lean out the idle and part throttle A/F ratio. Its difficult to do, since its hard coded and not simply a table that can be altered. And there is no advantage in changing it. You shouldn't see any difference at all in "normal" driving. The "tuning" is done in the power enrichment (PE mode = ~WOT) tables.

Sounds quieter? If it idles smoothly, and retains its normal part throttle response, hard to see how there could be anything negative in the tune. What part is quieter? The exhaust, the induction, engine mechanical sounds????
    My rubber elbow air duct got a couple of rips on it where the metal fastener goes around, but its not ripped in the portion where air can get through. (Happened today when I used screwdriver to get it around the fitting. Its not very strong.) Should I replace this? If, so is there a good performance1, or is it just as good as the stock 1.
    Replace it. You do not want a leak between the MAF and the throttle body. Its going to mess up the engines air/fuel calculations pretty badly, and cause it to run poorly, stumble, etc. What may not look like a leak could be one, now or in the near future.

Get a "1LE" elbow, with no air silencer tube for less than $50 from the popular online discount GM parts dealers. Another alternative would be the Trick Flow aluminum elbow, closer to $100.
    Did I cause any damage when I turned the car on with the air duct was off, and sensor WAS disconnected because the car started then shut off. So I decided that wasnt smart, so I put the duct back on then started the car, and it started with no problem.
    No. Generally, it will keep running without the MAF sensor, defaulting to speed-density.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

On the air duct topic, I'd recommend either the stock or 1LE elbow. I doubt there's much of anything to be gained by removing the silencer. Go with whichever is less expensive.

If you do get a leak another sympton, in addidtion to what Fed said, is a Service Engine light. The code would be a lean condition in either or both cylinder banks. This is due to excess air entering the system that is not read by the MAF in such an amount that it is outside the tolerances that the computer can compensate for with the addition of more fuel.
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Ok. I think I do need that elbow cause I might be stumbling not sure havn't driven that much yet. I think the tear will get worse in time to. I'll order 1. Thanks!
        94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

Comment

Is the 1LE elbow medal, so it won't tear? If the car sounds better without the silencer I don't want it. Opinions on that. Who had the cheapest for the 1LE elbow? Want to order it now. Whats the long closed plastic piece connected to my rubber air duct that sticks down below it? (silencer) Do I need this piece with my replacement. I thought the exhaust note at idle sounded much quieter now. The car was running awhile. Does it sound louder at a cold start up at idle? Maybe that was it.
          Which is better silencer, or no silencer. I want the elbow that is stronger from tearing again. Will a metal 1 get heat soaked?

Comment

http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...76be1aaa3c7483
            Will this work, and does it really give a few more horsepower? I'm just going to get this 1. I'm in a hurry to get it on! Is there a place on this 1 for the air sensor? This doesn't have the silencer, looks rubber like the stock 1, and says a few more horsepower. Don't know if its true, or not, but I need it.

Comment

I really don't think the silencer is robbing that much power. Call a dealership and see what they're charging. The part# for the 1LE intake might be on www.shbox.com
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD
              Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Here it is...I'm thinking the price might be out of date.

1993-1994 1LE intake elbow
                (no vent hole for opti) 25147210 $44.98
                Joe K.
                '11 BMW 328i
                '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Why should I keep the silencer?

Comment

Originally posted by EquatorHeat00
                    Why should I keep the silencer?
                    No reason...maybe if it's cheaper. I don't think it is though. I had both on my '96 and I could never really tell a differnce in sound. Same thing on my '99.
                    Joe K.
                    '11 BMW 328i
                    '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

We'll I've decided I want the 1 mentioned above. Will this fit ok, and do I need anything else for it before I order. Like to order it tonight, so let me know right away please. Changed my mind. I'm gonna try to find a used 1 off EBAY, or from F-Body motorsports online. Want something cheap. Its not worth it to me to spend that much money on a new 1. Anyway to repair a torn 1?

Comment

I wasn't suggesting the 1LE elbow because it made more power or because it sounds different.... from my personal experience, it does neither. The main advantage I found was its a lot easier to reassemble the elbow to the throttle body without the silencer on there, and it gets rid of one less bit of clutter between the radiator and the engine.

For parts information, parts numbers, approximate prices and best places to buy them, use Shoebox's website. If you aren't using it, you're short-changing yourself:

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech1.html
                        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                        X