No announcement yet.

Fuel question (10% ethanol)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully there will be some that stick to the original stuff. Like Sunoco? Mabey?
    No F-Body right now

Comment

Sunoco, BP, Amoco, all have 'contains 10 percent ethanol'. Exxon? Mobil?

Comment

They are required to add "oxygenates" to the gasoline for pollution control. Up to now, they have been adding MTBE. But after pumping MTBE in to the atmosphere for several years and spilling on the ground, they found major HEALTH problems with it.... ooooooppppssss. It causes severe cases of asthma in children, and has badly contaminated ground water sources. Now we have alcohol as the oxygenate, pushed by the corn farmers. We all know this won't hurt us since its grain alcohol and consumed in large quantities by a major portion of the general populace.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Oh, I'm pretty sure I've used oxygenated fuel in my car many times (pump saying "the gas dispensed from this pump contains oxygenates and will reduce carbon pollution"). Many of those times I've used this fuel with the HPP+ and I don't recall having issues with it. Just concerned about this whole E10 ethanol thing.

I just wish someone on this board can respond saying they've used E10 in their LT1 f-body, and are using the Hypertech Power Programmer's "power tune" with no problem. Or the latter.

Then again, I've seen a few ideas that the "power tune" may actually hurt performance. Not sure how accurate that is.

Comment

Im not using the hypertech... Mainly cause its not made for my 3rd gen... But I have the timing as advanced as I can get it without seeing knock. If there are any issues with this gas... I will know the first time I get on the gas.
            No F-Body right now

Comment

Well, I reprogrammed the power tuning program with the following new options:

1. Stock engine tuning (previously chose power tuning)
              2. 6000 RPM Limiter
              3. 160* Powerstat
              4. Increased shift firmness (night and day difference here!)

That should put an end to my paranoia of ethanol. The car seemed to respond the same with the stock engine tuning vs hypertech's engine power tuning. Only other mods are the Moroso CAI w/airfoil, 160* powerstat, and a Spintech muffler. Is the stock tuning really that good that the Hypertech engine tune was a waste and did nothing?

Comment

The stock tune isnt all that great. LT1's run really rich from the factory. The hypertech tune isnt all that great either. Im sure hypertech could make a better tune... But they have to protect themselves. The tune that they make will be put into 1000's of cars all over the world. Who knows what condition those cars are in or who is driving them. Plus no two engines need the same exact tune. If hypertech put a much more aggressive tune in, they could possibly dammage some engines from going too lean or too much spark.
                No F-Body right now

Comment

I've used 10% blend in my car with a Madz28 tune. Haven't seen any problems yet.
                  2006 Saturn Ion Redline
                  2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

10% ethanol = better performance?

10% ethanol = better performance? Just filled up with BP Ultimate 93, the pump said "contains 10% ethanol". After driving about 8 miles, I hit the gas and it felt snappier (could be my imagination). Didn't seem to run any worse, but I did hear that the fuel filter should be changed after the first tankful of ethanol blended fuel. Prior to filling up with ethanol blended fuel, I tried to let the fuel gauge get as close to E as possible as I heard it's not good to mix MTBE and Ethanol (inevitable since everyone's got some old stuff before filling up with new stuff).

Comment

Originally posted by Mark B
                      How about everyone gets rid of there SUV's and we all start using normal gas again!! Sound like a good idea?

Im just going to avoid Ethanol. Im sure that my 15-year old Camaro was never designed to take it.
                      How about no? How about I keep my Jeep? How about everyone keeps their SUVs since it was their money and their choice and their freedom to make that choice?

Also, the ethanol isn't going to hurt the motor, but, as stated, you will most likely see a drop in mileage. Its at all the pumps around here...haven't had any mechanical problems with it. I'm running a PCMForLess tune with no problems. As Fred pointed out, its there as an oxygenate and shouldn't/doesn't pose a threat to the motor itself.

Also, as a side-note, I believe the blended fuel only surfaces around the summer-time. If so, after a few months, it won't be available till next summer. Also, chances are you've already run it in the car and not known it.
                      Steve
                      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

in all of my studies and research, i have not heard anything real bad about 10%; however e85 (85% ethanol) cannot be shipped around the country very well because of how corrosive it is, it would eat through a pipeline or barrel! so i feel better with a lower, 10%, ethanol!

furthermore...
                        ethanol is alcohol! grain alcohol to be precise, and it could be possible to make an engine to run on 100% ethanol (alcohol) to help save the environment, however! people would have to be at least 21 years of age to buy gas! lmao

also a hazard is that ethanol can aid in the growth of a bacteria that causes urinary tract infections and pneumonia.

but there is little to worry about 10% ethanol gasoline! u had more to worry about from it's predecessors! like the lead!!
                        1982 Trans am w/ t-tops
                        V8 5.0L 305 H out of an '86 Caprice
                        previous owners abused it!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X