383 project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 383 project

I got my heads intake and block cleaned up. I also got the block magnafluxed and it it in good shape. They media blasted the heads and intake after hot tanking them. Everything looks great, but the finish is now really dull on the aluminum parts. What should I do to make them sparkly again like they were new? I was thinking about polishing them with a polish ball in a drill and then rinsing them off with water. Would that do it?

The intake is not as much of a concern, because that is getting powder coated bright red, but I'd like the heads to be pretty.

Total bill was $130. Is that a good deal?
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Home Depot carries alot of polishing products in their power tool section (usually in the back.) What you start with will really depend on how rough the finish is. If they bead blasted it, it's probably not to bad. You might need to sand first with some 1200 and then follow up with some 2000. Home Depot also has a polishing kit that includes a bunch of fine abrasive discs, tripoli compund, and I think a cutting compound a polisher/cleaner.

Can you post a close-up pic of the surface of the head.

Comment

Maybe I should clarify. I dont want to polish it like a mirror. I want to leave the original rough cast surface, but make it sparkly like it was stock, before it was media blasted to a flat silver finish.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Try Eagle One Aluminum Wheel Etching Cleaner. It is specifically designed for rough cast aluminum wheels, I've used it on many occations to brighten up cast aluminum parts like intakes and heads. Works great, but rinse it completely and towel dry or it may leave residue. It also takes several applications and maybe even some brushing on heavily stained parts.

Comment

Mothers Mag Polish.

Comment

Here is a pic. The flash made it look better than it is.

Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:

Comment

Once it's in the car, you don't see much of the heads. If you want to brighten them up, go to the auto paint store and buy aluminum cleaner concentrate.

Comment

Working...
              X