break-in period??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• break-in period??

hey guys, I just got finished doing a LE2 head and cam package, as well as building-up the bottom end of my motor. I was just wondering how long the typical break-in period should be for the lower end and valvetrain untill I can give her full throttle. Its a tough call between getting it dynoed right away and tuned right OR babying it around for a while with the tuning way off. Anyone have any helpful advice??
    1997 Camaro Z28 w/ LT1. SRP forged pistons, Eagle H-Beam forged Rods, 9.2:1 comp ratio. Voretch S-trim supercharger w/ 6 lbs. boost. 36 lb. injecters, T-Rex in-line fuel pump 3:73 gears, Auto w/ Hughes 3,000 stall, transgo shift-kit, LE2 heads + custom cam, 52 mm. tb, Comp. 1.6 rr. + chromemoly pushrods, pacesetter LT's, no cats, Y-pipe, SLP loudmouth cat-back, SLP sub-frame connectors, MSD wires, HI-6R ignition, I think thats it.....

Get it dyno'ed right away. In the past the break in period was largely due to the flat tappet lifters. Roller motors do not have a need to break in the lifter/camshaft lobe mating surfaces. The rotating assembly and piston rings also need to experience a significant load and a widely varying RPM range to seat the rings to the cylinder wall properly.

Get it on the dyno and put the hammer down and get that bad boy tuned.

Comment

Working...
    X