Anyone taken the ASE exams.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone taken the ASE exams.

I have never gotten my ASE's. Personally I think ASE certification is a complete joke. I am in the process of taking the exams to get my master tech certification for teaching. I got a study guide for the first test - Engine repair. I realize I am young (24) and not as experienced as some , but I like to think I am pretty good around a car. I work as a competent tech in my summers. But these exams are ridiculous! They PURPOSEFULLY try to trick you. The tests are the complete opposite of what I have come to know (as an educator) as a good test.

Ex. question: (This is only one of many ridiculous questions)

You are diagnosing a vehicle that cranks but does not start. The first thing you check is:

a. battery voltage
    b. compression
    c. valve train operation
    d. vacuum

Now if this where me, of these answers are right. I usually start with spark, but the most logical here in my opinion is compression. BUT NO! The correct answer is (c). Now who the heck pulls a valve cover to check valve train operation on a no start first?? Ridiculous! I am ranting again. Anyone else experience these tests?
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Does sound quite odd (I would start the same as you, check the ignition/fuel systems with that scenario)...but if you look at it from a work vs. pay stand point...go for the most difficult and costly fix first? LOL, I dunno.

KnightFire
    1993 Formula Firebird
    Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

Seems like most shops you pull into have a sign that states: ASE Certified.

Why do you think I do my own mechanical work?

Comment

Tell me about it. Its a total joke. I am just going to go through the motions and get it done. I will learn how to take the test.
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
        11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

A friend of mine said the same thing about the tests. He's got a bunch of them both in automotive and diesel trucks. The thing about it is when he was working for UPS truck leasing, they give you an automatic $.25 an hour raise for every certification you get. Get them while you can but use your brain for the diagnosis.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Same story different jobs....

In a past life I went through Engine, Parts, and Driveability (which ironically was called Performance if memory serves). These are no different than the IT Certifications that I deal with now, and the outlook has never changed. I will take experience and a desire to learn over a cert every day of the week. It's a marketing tool for the shops, and a good way for the newer wrenches to get some credit with little experience. I'm told the Master levels get a little tougher, but I never got that far.

A word of caution though, do not judge a mechanic by the shop they work in or the paper on the wall. Look at the work they do and then decide. You can find some of the best folks in the strangest places, and vice-versa.

-Paul

WickedLT1's Home on the Web - Wicked Pictures
            95 - Trans Am - LT1 - 6Speed
            Car Status: Hmm, winter projects coming up...

Comment

Working...
            X