No Cooling Fans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Cooling Fans

My cooling fans have decided they dont want to work anymore, I also have a switch underneath my dash for turning it on when ever I want, that switch now wont take new fuses without blowing them instantly, and Iam iniexperianced with electrical problems and am haveing trouble finding the problem, any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    1989 Camaro IROC-Z 5.0 TPI Auto (Away For Winter)
    -Flowmaster With 3 Inch SS Tips
    1989 Plymouth Reliant 2.5 TBI Auto
    -65,000 Original KM And No Rust Beater

You have a short to ground.If your blowing fuses with the aftermarket switch. I would isolate the switch and that wiring out of the system. In other words put the car back like it came from the factory. If the fans work you found your problem. Do you or someone you know have a mulitmeter that would help greatly and cut down on troubleshooting time. If not start at the fans themselves. Look at all connectors and at the wiring going to the connector and about 6 inches back. Check for chaffing and bare spots. Work your way back all the way to the fuse panel and battery. What all have you done so far?
    96 Camaro Z28/A4,Vortech elbow,Moroso CAI,Flowmaster.Addco PHR,LCA,160* Stat,pcmforless,1LE Driveshaft,1LE A/C delete pulley,1LE Front sway bar,Strut brace,sub frames, LT4 knock module,255 lph pump,Cutout,

Comment

Something else to consider is the bearings could be going bad. When they do it will make it hard for the motor to turn the fan which makes the motor pull more current which will blow the fuse.

I would,
      1st make sure the fan still spins when the car is off. If it doesn't the bearings are bad. Bad fan.

2nd unplug the fan, put a good fuse in it, start the engine, turn on the A/C (makes the fans come on), and see if you get power to the volt meter. If it blows the fuse you have a short. If it doesn't your fan is probably bad.

3rd manually test the fan by running separate power lines to it. If you put power to it and it doesn't turn disconnect immediately. Bad fan. It might turn but pull a lot of power. It might even heat the wires up. You need an amp meter to see how much power it is pulling. If it is more than the fuse that goes in the panel the fan are still bad.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Thanks alot guys! the previous owner had the wire tie-wraped so tightly to a bar that the insulation was worn trough and was shorting out, thanks again
        1989 Camaro IROC-Z 5.0 TPI Auto (Away For Winter)
        -Flowmaster With 3 Inch SS Tips
        1989 Plymouth Reliant 2.5 TBI Auto
        -65,000 Original KM And No Rust Beater

Comment

Working...
        X