Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wierd 2000 RPM vibration...Why does this happen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wierd 2000 RPM vibration...Why does this happen?

I get this weird vibration when the engine hits 2000 RPM in any gear, its more noticeable in upper gears. It comes and goes very fast when you reach the 2K mark, it is very annoying.

I think its safe to say it is the engine and has nothing to do with drive train since it occurs at the same RPM regardless of gear. If you rev the engine to 2K in neutral the vibration can not really be felt. It appears the engine has to have a load. It is extremely noticeable in 6th when you cruise at 70MPH (2000 RPM) again, I tend to really feel it in the seat rather than in the steering wheel. You can also audibly hear it too.

I checked the exhaust and it appears to be tight and not rubbing the chassis.

Does anyone have any ideas why this happens? Could it have something to do with my headers and bullet muffler in place of the catalytic converter.
    I really want to fix this.
    Thanks.
    1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
    Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
    Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

A bad pilot bearing can cause it.

A less likely source is an exhaust reverberation.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
      A bad pilot bearing can cause it.

A less likely source is an exhaust reverberation.
      Thanks for the reply,
      The pilot bearing was replaced less than 3 months ago when nI put a new clutch in. I sure dont remember this vibe before the header install and the catalytic removal. I will bolt the cat back up sometime soon and see what happens.
      1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
      Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
      Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

Working...
      X