Gear drive Cam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear drive Cam

If I wanted to run a gear drive cam, what is required? Will I have to program out the knock sensor or will I have to get a different one? I know that gear dive will make aditional valve train noise which may be interprited as knock. Are ther alternative knock sensors? Should I be changing something even for the roller rockers?

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
    6.2L/382.97 ci
    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
    WCT-5 speed
    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
    Boss MS 18" Rims
    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
    Custom Dual exhaust
    1LE upgrade
    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
    In a constant state of upgrade!

Earplugs.

Can't see how the KS could function with all that mechanical noise. Can't imagine there is one that can. One possibility would be a filter circuit of some sort on the wire to the PCM (sort of "build your own knock module"). When I did the solid roller cam, I asked about that approach, and the guys that built the engine said people have tried but have not been very successful.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I found a link to a schematic on Brent Franker's site for a knock sensor desensitization circuit. If you haven't been there before, you should check it out. The schematic can be found here. I'm not sure if it works, I just happened to find it.
      95 A4 Z28 with 146K miles

My DD is a 94 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd w/ 2/4 drop and 20" Centerline Stingray III's

Comment

"Desensitizing" means reducing its effectiveness...... like turning down the volume on a microphone. That's not a good way to solve knock sensor problems. The PCM can't "hear" the rattle of the gear drive, and it can't "hear" the death rattle of a detonating engine.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

When you put it that way, this circuit doesn't sound like a good idea. I wonder if there is a way to use the same techniques for filtering audio to filter specific frequencies from the knock sensor?

From what I've read, a knock sensor generates an AC signal (just like an audio signal) that is interpreted by the PCM. If the knock sensor acts like a microphone, where a sound can be identified by its frequency, it may be possible to filter that frequency out. There is a filter called a band-stop filter that filters a small range of frequencies, but leaves higher and lower frequencies alone.

If someone had the equipment and the courage, they could connect their KS to an ocilliscope and compare the readings between the timing chain and the gear drive. If there is a distinct frequency that the gear drive introduces, this type of filter may work. The only problem with this is that the frequency is likely to depend on engine speed, and could cover a wide range of frequencies.

To get something like this to work, it would require lots of testing. I'm not even sure if the frequency can tell you where the "knock" came from. I'll have to do some more research to see if something like this is possible.
          95 A4 Z28 with 146K miles

My DD is a 94 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd w/ 2/4 drop and 20" Centerline Stingray III's

Comment

You already have that "device" in your PCM.... its a removable chip called a "knock module". Its a filter that is designed to selectively pass the sound signature of true knock. That is the genesis of the LT4 knock module. It was specifcally designed to filter the sound of the Crane 1.6 roller rockers that GM put in the LT4 engines. because that noise was getting through the standard module (filter), so they changed the filter.

As I mentioned, the shop that does my engine work and tuning (and is extremely computer savvy) is aware of efforts to build filters for the noise from solid roller camshafts. They just haven't seen one that is really effective. My solution is simple... no knock sensor at all. But the "tune" is backed up by more than 40 engine dyno and chassis dyno pulls, and NOTHING gets changed without more testing.
            Fred

Comment

So even with the roller rockers I may get timing pulled? Can an LT4 KM go into a third gen? I really doubt it with out serious re-wireing. I wonder...

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
              Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
              6.2L/382.97 ci
              Custom PROM Dyno tuned
              WCT-5 speed
              BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
              Boss MS 18" Rims
              Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
              Custom Dual exhaust
              1LE upgrade
              Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
              In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by DeWynter
                So even with the roller rockers I may get timing pulled? Can an LT4 KM go into a third gen? I really doubt it with out serious re-wireing. I wonder...
                I'm always fighting eliminating KR with just RRs and headers using the LT4 KM. I think it helps, but in terms of seeing my knock count, I don't know if it would be worth the trouble if it's hard to install into your car.
                94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Working...
                X