Swapping the rear-end cover

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping the rear-end cover

I'm going to be installing a girdle on the rear on the Z (thanks again Kev ) pretty soon (either this weekend or the next). Thus, I've got a couple questions:

1. How many bottles of the GM additive do I need?

2. I've read and heard both sides to the synthetic argument. Which would be best for the posi in mine?

3. If memory serves me correctly, I'm supposed to use some RTV on the girdle/cover side of the gasket, correct?

4. Just for kicks, who makes the GU2 (I believe that's the posi RPO code) posi unit in the F-bodies?

Thanks in advance guys
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

I know that some synthetics don't need the additive. I used redline in my last car for about 20k without additive after I swapped in some 3.42 gears. No issues. Worked great!

Here's a link for the T/A rear diff cover. It should help.

http://installuniversity.com/install...id_install.htm
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
      I know that some synthetics don't need the additive. I used redline in my last car for about 20k without additive after I swapped in some 3.42 gears. No issues. Worked great!

Here's a link for the T/A rear diff cover. It should help.

http://installuniversity.com/install...id_install.htm
      Thanks a bunch Joe.

I've got a Mac girdle I'm gonna put on. I don't suppose those torque specs would be the same, would they?

Also, who makes the standard Posi unit? Is it Auburn?
      Steve
      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Yup, we used a nice thick bead of RTV sealant for the rear cover. Make sure its a steady thick bead, and tighten the bolts down in a star pattern to insure that it seats evenly. I have had no leaks since I did my rear end.
        1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
          Thanks a bunch Joe.

I've got a Mac girdle I'm gonna put on. I don't suppose those torque specs would be the same, would they?

Also, who makes the standard Posi unit? Is it Auburn?
          I don't remember who makes the standard posi. On the torque specs, I'd just call up Mac and see what they recommend. Better to play it safe.
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD
          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
            I don't remember who makes the standard posi. On the torque specs, I'd just call up Mac and see what they recommend. Better to play it safe.
            I remember reading that my '97 Trans Am had an Auburn posi, don't know if that helps you.
            1997 Pontiac Firebird T/A WS6
            Black, stock

Comment

I think it was auburn and was switched to the Zexel-Torsen unit in the '99 MY.
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Working...
              X