weird starting problem any advise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird starting problem any advise

hello there i have a 89 gta w the l98 motor in it. almost everytime i start the car is idles weird then just dies it does it abotu 3 or 4 times befor it stays running. what makes it weird is when it is idling funny if i give it gas it wont rev up or anything it is like teh gas peddel isnt doing anything the car ran fine it was sitting for 3 years but i just had the mas airflow sensor changed and abotu 3 days later i was having these problems any advise on what i should do. there is no check engine light.

Check the burn-off relay for the Mass Air Flow sensor. If that relay has failed, it will result in the exact symptoms you describe. Whatever it is, it definitley sounds to be MAF related.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

that is what a few people have told me but the mechanic that put the sensor in says it has nothing to do w it, is there any way i can test it???

Comment

I know that on an LT1, if you unplug the MAF senor the PCM will default to speed density mode. This is how we LT1 owners quickly diagnose MAF problems, we just unplug it and see if it runs better. I'm not sure if your L98 ECM will default to speed density in the same way, but it is worth a shot.

Did you try replacing the burn-off relay?

I had an 88 5.7 Iroc that was a chronic problem for years. It would barely start, then run like absolute crap and nearly die. I'd have to shut it off and wait a few minutes then try again. Sometimes I had to re-start it half a dozen times to get it to run right, then it would be fine until I shut it off again.

I replaced the MAF burn-off relay and it never gave me a problem again. The relay is responsible for the cleaning cycle the MAF goes through. The mechanic that finally fixed it told me that it heats up the MAF filament red hot to burn off any contaminates and clean it. If the relay is bad, the MAF will never clean itself and it will produce bad readings.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

thanx guys i unpluged the maf sensor and it seems to be running right im so used to carburated cars so this one is gona take some getting use to thanx again

jason

Comment

Have you replaced the burn off relay?

It is very possible the MAF sensor is OK and the burn off relay is shot. Relays are cheap, replace the relay first.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:

Comment

There is no MAP sensor on MAF thirds gens. It just defaults to standard tables.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
              Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
              6.2L/382.97 ci
              Custom PROM Dyno tuned
              WCT-5 speed
              BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
              Boss MS 18" Rims
              Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
              Custom Dual exhaust
              1LE upgrade
              Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror