why 2nd gen gap?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why 2nd gen gap?

im sure ill get some varied answers for this question, which is exactly why im asking it, im a long time chevy muscle fan, grew up around chevelles(2 ss's, a malibu, and a plain jane with a 455 dropped in her) but i for some reason took a bigger liking to camaros guess for me they just truely emphasize american muscle, but anyways after being forced to sell my 72 ss project when my rents divorced(for many reasons) i have started looking for another project camaro, but ive noticed theres a quite a gap when it comes to 2nd gens, 67-72 you can find pretty easily(affording is a diff matter) but then there seems to be a gap until 79 or atleast 78-02, i was always taught that this was due to issues with the bodys rusting out much easier than your other years coupled with the gas crises that hit around those years aswell, but for instance if you go on ebay and search thru all the camaros, you maybe see 2-3 cars between those years while you see atleast 20 cars from all the other gens(2nd gen without those years i mean), while talking a freind of mine the other day thats also a camaro fan he seemed to think if had to do with engine and frame issues in those years leading to alot of them being scrapped. just wondering what the major reason is or what most people tend to believe about it?

I'd be more apt to thinking it's a triple threat deal. Demolition derbies, round track, and drag racing. Most of those years were either tore up banging into each other, cut up to become dirt track or pavement pounding circle track cars, or back-halved with big block dragstrip queens. I can't tell you how many former race cars I searched through before I found my 71 Firebird. It was just common to do because it was so easy to make them fast. Besides, who in their right mind would use a 75 Mustang as a circle track or drag car? Ugliest body Mustang EVER. So the only other option was GM or Mopar.

I will agree, attempting to afford a 67-73 Camaro is just about insane nowadays. I would love to have a split bumper 70-71, but the 10,000 price difference between one of those and the same year Firebird is just outrageous. For me though, my heart is the Pontiac line (except 67-69), and I lucked out and found a very solid California 1971 Firebird, which is why it's sitting in my garage.

If you search long enough, you will find what you want at the price you want to pay. I looked for a 70-73 Firebird for probably a good, hard 2 years before I found "the one". A guy at work looked for about the same time and absolutely stumbled across a 70 non-split bumper car a few weeks ago and snatched it up. Now is the time to buy one though, because with the way 1st gen Camaros have been going through the roof on Barrett-Jackson, it won't be long until it creeps into the early 70's models (probably not on that high of a scale, but close).

Of course, I've been looking for a 69 Charger for almost 10 years now and still haven't had the timing to be right yet. Got close a few weeks ago, but just wasn't in the cards. Try finding one of those that's not a rust bucket for less than 5 grand
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Originally posted by MN6WS6

I will agree, attempting to afford a 67-73 Camaro is just about insane nowadays. I would love to have a split bumper 70-71, but the 10,000 price difference between one of those and the same year Firebird is just outrageous. For me though, my heart is the Pontiac line (except 67-69), and I lucked out and found a very solid California 1971 Firebird, which is why it's sitting in my garage.....

Of course, I've been looking for a 69 Charger for almost 10 years now and still haven't had the timing to be right yet. Got close a few weeks ago, but just wasn't in the cards. Try finding one of those that's not a rust bucket for less than 5 grand
      i know what u mean, i was lucky with my 72 found her sitting in the back of a old junk yard covered in old car hoods and pallets, owner didnt even know it was there pulled her out and payed $500 for her, complete car, not running but still a complete ss with the 396/402 and the orignal 4spd, both werent working but totally restorable, had everything but the inteior and some less critical wiring to do(stuff like the wipers and misc lights, etc) had her painted daytona yellow with ss stripes, had been restoring the inteior when my parents divorcedi had no choice but to sell it because of moving and having no place to store my camaro(being 16 at the time) so she got sold off, fortunally i know the guy i sold her too and still get to drive it from time to time, tear always comes to my eye on the fact that i had to sell such a show stopping car

Comment

Working...
      X