Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Paint Project 3 - Final Paint

Hey everyone,
    It was susposed to happen last weekend... But I found a few more blemishes that I had to fix. Anyway, 7am tomorrow morning I will be bringing the car to the shop. Totaly excited. Tonight I will be going back over the car with 400 grit wet and making SURE that I didnt miss anything. The car will be getting a 3-stage system consisting of base, color, & clear. I am going to find out how much it will cost to get an extra coat of clear thrown on.

I will probably spend a few hours tomorrow with the body shop manager talking about what will be done & not done. There were a few issues I had with the first round of paint & I dont want the same things to happen again. Plus, I need to show him the rust that I need repaired. I will probaby make a list up tonight so I dont forget to go over anything tomorrow.

Since Macco is going the spraying, I am sure I will have it back before the end of the week. I will get some pics tomorrow morning of the car just before I drop it off. Of course I will post them the first chance I get.
    No F-Body right now

base and color are the same thing. The base coat is the pigmented coat, or white in your case.

3 steps to me would indicate primer, color(base) and clear? Am I wrong?

And they should probably use at least two coats of primer, maybe 3.

or - do you already have all the priming done?

When I paint I use 3 primers. start with an etching, then a high build, then a sealer. after the 3 different stages of primer you can do base(color) and clear.

Be carefull to make sure the car is properly primed and sealed afterwards. If it is not, the final finish may not adhere properly and you could run into problems down the road with the paint delaminating and flaking off the car.

What paints are they using exactly? what exactly are they doing for primers?
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Im sorry I meant Primer, Base, Clear. We havent finalized what primers/paints will be used yet. That is something I will be going over with them tomorrow.
      No F-Body right now

Comment

Its probably sealer, base color, and clear...Or at least thats how we do it...
        Greg W. in West Michigan
        1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
        1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
        1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
        1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
        1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
        <Motor out

Comment

I cant wait to see it.... take lots of pictures for us!!!
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Just got back from dropping it off. Here is the plan

(1) Primer
            (1) Sealer
            (1) Basecoat
            (2) Clear

They use all dupont paints. The car should be back by friday!!
            No F-Body right now

Comment

Originally posted by Mark B
              Just got back from dropping it off. Here is the plan

(1) Primer
              (1) Sealer
              (1) Basecoat
              (2) Clear

Now you're talking. That's the basic correct order.

Comment

Updated the page. Put some shots of the car before it went to the shop. Click on PAGE 3 in my sig.
                No F-Body right now

Comment

Site updated 5-12
                  No F-Body right now

Comment

Site updated 5-16. PAINT IS ON!! I should be able to bring it home today!
                    No F-Body right now

Comment

We want more pictures!

We want more pictures!

We want more pictures!

We want more pictures!
                      Tracy
                      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                      Current Mods:

Comment

More pics on the website!!!
                        No F-Body right now

Comment

Looks good. I was wondering if there was a specific reason you didn't take off the under door GFX when it got painted?

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                          Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                          6.2L/382.97 ci
                          Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                          WCT-5 speed
                          BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                          Boss MS 18" Rims
                          Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                          Custom Dual exhaust
                          1LE upgrade
                          Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                          In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Looking good, can't wait to see more pics
                            97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Working...
                            X