Leaky T-top question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky T-top question

Just a question about here about my driver's side t-top on my '96 T/A. It has recently started to leak near the window, where the t-top meets the body (roof). It only used to drip if I went through a car wash, but it rained last night and drip, drip, all over me driving! The weatherstripping looks good to me, but something is going on. Anyone have any ideas as to what I will need to replace? Thanks!
    1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

I think it is one full piece so you would have to replace the whole thing, try to find out where exactly it's leaking and maybe you can patch it or something?

With T-tops your supost to coat the weather stripping 2 times (or more) a year with silicone spray so it keeps the weather stripping more flexable and keeps them working for longer.
    94 Formula Firebird, 355, heads port and polished, cc503 cam, 30# injectors, PCMforless Tune, B&M 2400 stall, K&N CAI, BBK Sorty Headers, Magnaflow Highflow Cat, Borla Catback exhaust with electronic cutout.

Comment

You could try readjusting the window... What do you have to lose?

Shoebox has a guide on how to adjust it.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I know the weather stripping on the car has a lip on it that should go to the outside of The t-top weather stripping. When I first got my car I noticed a slight leak during a light rain. Turned out that the piece of stripping on the car was folded over a bit and not to the outside of the T-top seal. Quick fix and no problem now...maybe you have the same issue?

I have to watch for it each time I put the t-tops back in, it's easy to miss.
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Joe....A picture tells more than 1000 words.....could you be too kind to give us one with that lip?
          I'd appreciate the effort....
          thanks a lot in advance
          Dochidalgo
          97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

Comment

Here are three pictures I can use to show what I'm talking about. These are all taken from the passenger's side.

1) Here is the rear seal as it should look with the T-top installed
            http://f5.putfile.com/5/12617171079.jpg

2) I'm pulling away the seal attached to the car. You can see how it overlaps the T-top seal
            http://f5.putfile.com/5/12617181281.jpg

3) Here I'm showing the front seal overlap
            http://f5.putfile.com/5/12617191615.jpg

When I put the T-tops back on, the seal on the car sometimes folds behind the t-top seal. Make sure it looks like the pictures.
            Joe K.
            '11 BMW 328i
            '10 Matrix S AWD
            Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Joe...
              Thanks a lot man!!

Take care
              Dochidalgo
              97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

Comment

Working...
              X