valvetrain question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valvetrain question

hey guys, after installing my comp. 7/16" 1.6 NSA roller rockers, 7.200" chromemoly pushrods, new 7/16" studs, and GM guideplates, I was unable to keep the rockers tight as they would keep loosening up after starting the car. I took the car into the shop and he noticed that the pushrods were actually wedging into the guideplate groove during one part of the stroke that they would get stuck and cuase everything to loosen up. It was so bad that it ended up bending 3 of the pushrods. What we ended up doing is taking the giudeplates back off and grinding a little bit of of them to make extra room.
    I was just wondering if anyone else has had problems like this. I see on here that a lot of people are using that valvetrain package, and have never heard of problems like that. But, every car is different. I thought those GM guideplates were supposed to be the best fit. I thought maybe the pushrods were the wrong legnth, but checked with Lloyd Elliot what size to use with his LE2 head/cam package and he said to use the 7.2", so thats what I used. I also have a forged bottom end with 6" rods, but see how that would require using a different pushrod legnth. It runs fine now, just wanted to see what you guys think, or if you heard of this be4
    1997 Camaro Z28 w/ LT1. SRP forged pistons, Eagle H-Beam forged Rods, 9.2:1 comp ratio. Voretch S-trim supercharger w/ 6 lbs. boost. 36 lb. injecters, T-Rex in-line fuel pump 3:73 gears, Auto w/ Hughes 3,000 stall, transgo shift-kit, LE2 heads + custom cam, 52 mm. tb, Comp. 1.6 rr. + chromemoly pushrods, pacesetter LT's, no cats, Y-pipe, SLP loudmouth cat-back, SLP sub-frame connectors, MSD wires, HI-6R ignition, I think thats it.....

Aren't those heads milled and require different length pushrods? Also, you're using the "V6 advertised" guideplates? - which should be correct.

I've had no problems with the CC rockers loosening up. Out of curiosity, how hard were you tightening them after 0 lash? I'm at 3/8 of a turn.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

GM p/n 14011051 should be the right guideplate.

You should check your valve geometry with an adjustable pushrod to get the correct length. What people tell you to do is their best estimate. It's up to you to check it.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

I tightened them 1/2 turn after zero. Other people seem to tell me the pushrod legnth would not cuase the problem that i had. seems to be that i just got a wierd set of guideplates.
        1997 Camaro Z28 w/ LT1. SRP forged pistons, Eagle H-Beam forged Rods, 9.2:1 comp ratio. Voretch S-trim supercharger w/ 6 lbs. boost. 36 lb. injecters, T-Rex in-line fuel pump 3:73 gears, Auto w/ Hughes 3,000 stall, transgo shift-kit, LE2 heads + custom cam, 52 mm. tb, Comp. 1.6 rr. + chromemoly pushrods, pacesetter LT's, no cats, Y-pipe, SLP loudmouth cat-back, SLP sub-frame connectors, MSD wires, HI-6R ignition, I think thats it.....

Comment

Well I set up the studs loose then put the guide plates on and center the slop so the rockers center on the valve tips flipping the plates over if needed, then make sure the pushrods don't rub on anything except the guideplates and tighten the stud a little, then remove the rockers and torque the studs to 65# and replace the rockers & recheck the position.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyLT1
            I tightened them 1/2 turn after zero. Other people seem to tell me the pushrod legnth would not cuase the problem that i had. seems to be that i just got a wierd set of guideplates.
            Problems or not, rocker geometry should be checked when heads are milled or block is decked. That's just part of making sure things are what they are supposed to be.
            Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Get yourself a pushrod length checker tool. Thunder Racing sells a Comp Cams PLC tool for $19.95 and it is worth every penny. Your valvetrain geometry is very important.

Are you sure you didn't install the guideplates backwards? Believe it or not, it can be done.

If the heads are milled, there is a good chance you may need a 7.150" pushrod.

Comment

I have the same setup as you. For some reason my GM guideplates ended up with scallops on over half of them from the pushrods, some on both sides of the groove. I had checked pushrod length and went with stock length, but I'm not convinced I did a perfect job checking it. I don't see how incorrect pushrod length would cause guideplate wear, but I could be wrong.

In your case, even if the spacing of the guideplate grooves was off, wouldn't it just move the roller tip to one side on the valve tip? I don't know how they could bind on the guideplates. Weird.
                Attached Files
                '95 Trans Am - A4, LE2 heads, LE1 cam, 1.6 ProMags, Comp R's, AS&M CAI, AS&M 54mm, MAC midlengths, Random Tech. cat, Borla cat back, PCMforless, Vigilante 2800, 3.73's, BMR LCAs/panhard/shock tower brace

Comment

Working...
                X