stock valve and spring question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stock valve and spring question

I recently purchased a used set of LT1 cylinder heads from a 1994 Formula Firebird. I disassembled them and had the castings media blasted. I also cleaned up the valves and other pieces. The valves say "Manley" on the stems and the retainers appear to be titanium according to the guy at the machine shop. Are these stock pieces? Are they worth selling?

Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

No, those are aftermarket valvetrain parts. You could prpbablt get $150-$175 for the valves and retainers if they are in good shape.

What size are the valves?

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
      No, those are aftermarket valvetrain parts. You could prpbablt get $150-$175 for the valves and retainers if they are in good shape.

What size are the valves?
      Intake valves measure 1 15/16" or 1.94" MANLEYP1964B
      Exhaust valves measure 1 1/2" or 1.5" MANLEYU3919B

Does that sound right?
      Are they stainless steel?

I looked them up in the Manley calatog and the numbers I listed that are stamped on the stems do not match anything in the catalog.

Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
        Intake valves measure 1 15/16" or 1.94" MANLEYP1964B
        Exhaust valves measure 1 1/2" or 1.5" MANLEYU3919B

Does that sound right?
        Are they stainless steel?

I looked them up in the Manley calatog and the numbers I listed that are stamped on the stems do not match anything in the catalog.
        Those are the stock valve sizes, but I am not certain about the Manley part numbers.

Ti is much lighter than Stainless, so if you have a scale that can measure in grams, you could weigh them. If they are Ti, they will weigh somewhere around `75 grams on the intake (1.94"), and around `70 grams on the exhaust. If they are SS, they will easily weigh 35-40% more.

Also Ti is virtually non-ferrous depending on the type of Ti grade that it is produced from. So a magnet will barely stick to the Ti, if at all. If they are SS, the magnet will pick them right up.

Comment

The valves and retainers are non-ferrous.

The only spots on the valves that will attract a magnet are the very extreme ends, where the rocker arms contact them. There is a visible seam line around the stem at the end and it is obviously a very thin hardened cap on the very end contacting the rocker arm.

I'm thinking they are Ti. Too bad I dont have a scale.
          What are they worth if they are Ti?
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:

Comment

The numbers on the manley valves are date codes. Not all stainless is magnetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
              The numbers on the manley valves are date codes. Not all stainless is magnetic.
              The only kind of SS that is non-magnetic are the austenitic grades or the 300 grades. Automotive valves are almost always made from a high-temp 400 series ferritic SS which is significantly magnetic.

Comment

ok Why would anybody buy titanium valves in a standard size? Certain class of racing?

Comment

ok Why would anybody buy titanium valves in a standard size? Certain class of racing?
                  That is what I was thinking. They dont feel that light. I wish I had a postal scale.
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:

Comment

I agree. It seemed kinda weird to me as well. Oh well....you never know.

Comment

A normal SS Streetmaster valve costs about $8 or so, but the titanium version costs $75 or therabouts, so the valves could cost $600 for just 8 of them vs. the $64 for SS valves. Flatlander Racing lists some Manley titanium intake valves at $739/8, and they have pretty good prices.

I took a glance at the Manley catalog and didn't see titanium valves listed in the sizes you mentioned. I'm guessing they are SS replacement valves - they don't look undercut in the pics.

Comment

Working...
                      X