94' z-28 camaro transmission questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94' z-28 camaro transmission questions

I am the proud owner of a 1994 z-28 camaro with a 4L60-E tranny. I have a few mods done to the car, more suspension parts than anything. The tranny is on its last leg, and when i replace it i want to put in a stronger tranny. I was recently introduced to the 4L65-E, the bionic tranny, its out of the Corvette Z06 and i think some other cars have it. Well anyways it mounts up to any car that originally had a 4L60-E tranny, my question is i found a 4L65-E tranny for sale thats used, but only has 8000 miles, its only description is 2001, pontiac,buick,olds,4L65E,transmission, only has 8000 miles, out of car hit in the rear. not sure what years will interchange, you will have to check! money back guarantee. Does anyone think this will matchup to my '94 z-28. I really hope it will.....
    Attached Files
    1994 Z-28 Camaro, 350LT1 A4, K&N Cold Air Intake, Edelbrock Long Tube Headers, Pro Flow Catalytic Convertor, BMR control arms & panhard rod, Eibach lowering springs, subframe connectors, Hotchkis strut tower brace.

I could be wrong, but I believe the 80 series is shared in trucks. Although the transmission will bolt up to the motor, it won't fit within the sheetmetal trans tunnel.

Comment

That is a front wheel drive tranny, dude. No way will that fit your Z.

I recommend getting a worthy transmission shop to rebuild your current unit. The 4L60E is a good unit. Ask around in your area to find a rebuilder that is worthy.

Comment

The 4L65E is simply a strengthened version of the 4L60E. I know they are using the 4L65E behind the cast iron versions of the LS1 engines that they use in the Chevy/GMC-1500 truck line.

The 4L80E/4L85E is used in the trucks with the real high torque applications, and heavy weight chassis.

The 4T65E is the FWD tranny.

Here's a link to GM tranny applications info:

GM Powertrain/Hydramatic
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

All I was saying was the picture he posted was of a front drive trans. I should had been more specific.

Comment

Injuneer is right on the money. The 4T series trannies are front wheel and that is a picture of what looks like a 4T60E. If your looking to bolt in a 4L65E into your car, it will swap right in. However, the pic is definately NOT a 4L65E.

The L65 is a nice unit. It has heavy duty low/reverse roller clutch, and upgraded output shaft and there are five "planetary gears" on the gear sets instead of only four. The valve body is reworked a bit, and they put an extra clutch in the 3-4 clutch pack to keep that from burning out. Depending on how much your paying, this is a nice upgrade. However, it may be cheaper to do some mods on your L60. A lot of the beefed up stuff they put in the L65 is not that necessary, and you could spend extra money on other areas of the L60 that need to be beefed.
            96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
            11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Im a dumbass

I looked at the pic, it is definetly a FWD. The guy must be trying to rip someone off. I am still looking for a 4L65 without paying GM 2,300 for one. Thank you everyone.....
              1994 Z-28 Camaro, 350LT1 A4, K&N Cold Air Intake, Edelbrock Long Tube Headers, Pro Flow Catalytic Convertor, BMR control arms & panhard rod, Eibach lowering springs, subframe connectors, Hotchkis strut tower brace.

Comment

The guy that listed the add was probably the dumba**. Good luck trying to find your 4L65E. Start looking for wrecked trucks with gen 3 motors or the cadillac escalade.
                96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

interesting

FYI
                  4L60E=GM PN#12497318 =$1445.38
                  4L65E=GM PN#24221888 =$1816.50
                  from www.gmpartsdirect.com

Also 4L65E writeup from http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/gmgoodwr...on=pp#12497318

24221888 4L65-E Automatic Transmission
                  GM Hydramatic has baked even more technology enhancements into the automatic transmission line up with the new 4L65E. This transmission, the latest creation from GM Hydramatic Motorsports, is a four speed, offering all the latest heavy duty components to stand up to the power of the LS6-405 HP Corvette engines. Upgrades like induction hardened turbine input shafts, larger intermediate servo, an additional three-four clutch plate. All go toward accommodating higher engine power output. The 4L65E offers optimized performance, fuel economy and increase durability. This sate-of-the-art transmission features the latest heavy duty components and high tech-electronic controls. The advanced electronics controlling the LS6 engine also manages the 4L65E shift points, providing unparalleled performance and durability, P/N 24221888 also includes the torque converter. (No core charge required on this transmission)
                  2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Summit has a really nice tranny, but don't know if it will bolt up to the F-bodys
                    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...t=HUP%2D74%2D1
                    my car:
                    '86 Caprice Classic. Soon to have a 350 crate motor. Shooting for 300rwhp.

the project:
                    check the www for pics, but a '36 Chevy Master Sedan, MII front end, Jaguar IRS, '93 LT1 powerplant with plans for 350rwhp, and many many other goodies

Comment

It would bolt up but his 94 has an E model. That one from Summit is not the E model.
                      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
                      X