Loud Knock Sound During Accel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud Knock Sound During Accel

Hey guys, got a small worry about the camaro, for some reason (just started yesterday) when I give'er from a dead stop there is a loud bang/knock that sounds like It is coming from right bellow the gear selector (engine, tranny, driveshaft???) there is no (or at least I cant see any) difference in performane and other then that still drives smooth, any ideas on what could be causeing this?
    1989 Camaro IROC-Z 5.0 TPI Auto (Away For Winter)
    -Flowmaster With 3 Inch SS Tips
    1989 Plymouth Reliant 2.5 TBI Auto
    -65,000 Original KM And No Rust Beater

Sounds like the tranny mount. If it is, just replace it. It isnt too hard to do, you should be able to do it your self with basic tools. My camaro had the same problem.
    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Hopefully just a broken tranny mount. In that case, no biggie

Comment

Anybody know how much roughly a new one would cost?

Comment

Maybe around $20-$25 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
            Hopefully just a broken tranny mount. In that case, no biggie
            I agree. Very common on F-bodies to fail. You can try ordering the optional 1LE mount from GM. It is more durable than the stocker without any noticable added harshness or vibration.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

trans mount..... easy repair, no more than 30 bucks, 2 jacks, and about an hours worth of time...
              1994 formula A4 w/ 84,XXX MI, bone stock except MSD wires and NGK TR5 plugs

Comment

Turns out it was an engine mount, found out cuss i noticed if I reverd her a bit the whole car would drop to the right abit when I gased it, then I got a friend to wacth the motor as a did a bit of a breakstand and sure enough the engine jumps up to the right side, Iam pretty sure that means its the engine mount, unless the tranny mount would cause this to? Iam not completly sure, sucks being a rookie

Comment

Originally posted by Lappin
                  Turns out it was an engine mount, found out cuss i noticed if I reverd her a bit the whole car would drop to the right abit when I gased it, then I got a friend to wacth the motor as a did a bit of a breakstand and sure enough the engine jumps up to the right side, Iam pretty sure that means its the engine mount, unless the tranny mount would cause this to? Iam not completly sure, sucks being a rookie
                  Dude... listen to us. It is the Transmission Mount.

Why even fool around? It is a $25 part that can be replaced in under 30 minutes.
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:
                  SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

A bad trans mount will definitly make the engine move more.
                    No F-Body right now

Comment

Alright, I trust you guys, iam gonna run to autostore near my house first thing tommorow and grab a tranny mount hopefully get it in during tech class, thanks alot!

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                        Dude... listen to us. It is the Transmission Mount.

Why even fool around? It is a $25 part that can be replaced in under 30 minutes.
                        Hey trace, i thought that if the engine moved north and south it was the tranny mount, but if it was an east to west movement, then it was a motor mount. I could be wrong though
                        2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Originally posted by ryan34
                          Hey trace, i thought that if the engine moved north and south it was the tranny mount, but if it was an east to west movement, then it was a motor mount. I could be wrong though
                          Would that depend which direction your car was facing?

The force pushing back against the torque of the motor will always want to move the motor sideways to the passenger side of the car. This pushes down on the passenger motor mount and pulls up on the driver's side mount.

The trans mount is usually what causes the "thump".

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                            Would that depend which direction your car was facing?

The force pushing back against the torque of the motor will always want to move the motor sideways to the passenger side of the car. This pushes down on the passenger motor mount and pulls up on the driver's side mount.

The trans mount is usually what causes the "thump".
                            Aaaahhh, i didn't know the motor mounts didn't cause thumping. Learn something everyday i suppose.
                            2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

The problem is that sometimes when your tranny mount goes, it is telling you that your motor mounts might be bad...I just replaced my tranny mount and it only took a couple of months to break that one. The only other thing, other than a defective new tranny mount, is that the motor mounts are weak.
                              Greg W. in West Michigan
                              1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                              1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                              1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                              1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                              1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                              <Motor out

Comment

Working...
                              X