kooks long tube header

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kooks long tube header

Goodmorning to all on board,got my kooks long tube , headers home and noticed that the air tube on the top is male with threads.On factory exhaust 94 lt1 5.7 Ltr full emision,the tube that enters the exhaust is male into a female port /both sides ,am i missing something here or have i lost it .Iknow i need pics but i dont know how to post pics yet sorry,any help would be great thank you ---jack
    JackZ28
    K & N CAI
    Kooks Header LT's
    Free Flow Cat, Magnaflow Exhaust
    Y-Pipe
    Synthetic Fluids

The 96-97 AIR fittings are different and it sounds like you got 96-97 headers. You could get the different AIR fittings or send the headers back. I would recommend changing the AIR check valves at this point anyway so you might want to just get the 96-97 fittings and new check valves as opposed to sending the headers back.
    69 Z28 with JL8 factory 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, transistor ignition, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
    70 SS 396 L78 documented, #'s matching
    2000 SS Camaro daily beater

Comment

The 96/97 connections on the headers are still "female".... they're just a smaller diameter thread (18mm vs 22mm??). There's some other header manufacturer that uses the male threads on the AIR connections, and they make an adapter to match up to the stock plumbing.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

headers

Well sat afternoon i started to take the exhaust off ,jacked the car up 2 feet all around on jack stands,safty first. I unbolted the y pipe at the cat, then under each side of the exhaust,they came out nice,then pulled the wires and plugs out both sides.The exhaust bolts were not a problem at all, after some of the horror storys i read.It took sometime to do on certain bolts you know the ones,anyway the air tube that turns into the top of the exhaust came out with a big adjustable wrench-no heat required. So far so good ,i will replace the plugs with ngk tr55s,will the factory wires be ok or should i get a set of taylers-8 mm, about the plugs do i put them in befor the headers or after im not sure .Iwill post pics of the progress as soon as i can--jack
        JackZ28
        K & N CAI
        Kooks Header LT's
        Y-Pipe
        Synthetic Fluids

Comment

Originally posted by jackz28
          Well sat afternoon i started to take the exhaust off ,jacked the car up 2 feet all around on jack stands,safty first. I unbolted the y pipe at the cat, then under each side of the exhaust,they came out nice,then pulled the wires and plugs out both sides.The exhaust bolts were not a problem at all, after some of the horror storys i read.It took sometime to do on certain bolts you know the ones,anyway the air tube that turns into the top of the exhaust came out with a big adjustable wrench-no heat required. So far so good ,i will replace the plugs with ngk tr55s,will the factory wires be ok or should i get a set of taylers-8 mm, about the plugs do i put them in befor the headers or after im not sure .Iwill post pics of the progress as soon as i can--jack
          Take advantage of putting in the plugs before you install the headers. Makes life easier.

I think you will find that the MSD 8.5mm wires are better quality and will perform better than the Taylor's.

Comment

Well today being sunday,and the holiday monday, i am out of luck for the msd 8.5 wires,i went to canadian tire and they dont have any in stock .I would like to feed the new wires threw befor the headers are on, i think the factory ones would burn off ,or get heat soked to the point of misfire.Feeding the new ones threw after,will be a PITA by the looks of things.However i did perchace the NGK-tr-55s $36.00.---jack
            JackZ28
            K & N CAI
            Kooks Header LT's
            Y-Pipe
            Synthetic Fluids

Comment

You should be able to unscrew the check valves from the AIR pipes and screw them right on the male threads on the headers, then you need to run hoses to wherever your air pump is, unless it's in the trash by now in which case get some nice brass caps to plug up the header pipes.

Comment

That was an idea,untill i tried to match them up .The thread on the black check valve is a standard 1/2 inch---on the header male air tube is a different tread all togeather like metric -go figure.I know what they are now so i can match them up and complete the job.Thanks for the input,evey little bit helps---jack
                JackZ28
                K & N CAI
                Kooks Header LT's
                Y-Pipe
                Synthetic Fluids

Comment

Right now is a good time to replace the motor mounts if you haven't already. It's much easier without the exhaust on the car. Did you get some O2 extensions yet?
                  69 Z28 with JL8 factory 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, transistor ignition, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
                  70 SS 396 L78 documented, #'s matching
                  2000 SS Camaro daily beater

Comment

Well i never thought about changing the motor mounts --{you mean to polly mounts},,your right it"s a good time to change them,the mounts them self are in real good shape.I managed to pull enough wire from the harness itself,hopeing it will reach ,if not i will proly order them threw summit.---jack
                    JackZ28
                    K & N CAI
                    Kooks Header LT's
                    Y-Pipe
                    Synthetic Fluids

Comment

Working...
                    X