new coil and module, SES light

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new coil and module, SES light

i just replaced my coil and ignition module (30K miles) and now i'm having the Service Engine Soon light flashing. i can already see why, because spark plug wire cilinder 8 (passanger, back) is sparking like hell (and causing misfires), from that metal boot cover. i've searched through this forum, and found a lot about this topic. Someone even mentioned he had the same problem, and his neighbour jumped over the fence, and just took off those metal boot cover from three spark plug wires. i'm about to replace my wires, and my question is what are the disadvantege if i loosen the Y-pipe? it seems i can reach to all spark plugs by loosening the Y-pipe.
    during my search through this forum, most people do it by removing the alternator, loosen the power steering pump, and sometimes loosen the starter (i checked my starter, the wire on the solenoid of the starter is difficult to reach, so loosening the starter may give some problems.
    i'm sorry to bring back this topic, there is already so much written about it.

1996 camaro z28 automatic, no mods.

That was me but my neighbor didn't jump any fences. Take the metal shields off now.

I have a 95 so my exhaust is different than yours.

I took my starter off and I could get to 3,5,7. I took the alternator off to get to #1 but that doesn't help much. My hands are too big.

The hardest part about the wires is they have to go through this plastic channel behind the alternator pulley. If they don't get crammed in there they will rub on the alternator pulley and wear a hole in them and short out. I spent more time trying to get the wires in that channel than it took to replace all of the wires.

Oh and nice exhaust tips.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I could change the plugs on the passenger side(2,4,6,8) from the top and then dropping the starter to get to #8. That's easier than dropping the y-pipe. Just disconnect your battery if you lower the starter(don't need to disconnect the wires if you disconnect the battery).
      69 Z28 with JL8 factory 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, transistor ignition, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
      70 SS 396 L78 documented, #'s matching
      2000 SS Camaro daily beater

Comment

Working...
      X