Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spark plugs AC delco 41-948

first of all thanks for your help on my previous thread,
    i took out my spark plugs and they were AC DELCO 41-908.
    i went out to buy new spark plugs, they only had AC DELCO 41-948.
    can anyone help me on this, can i use AC DELCO 41-948 and where can i find more info on al those AC DELCO spark plug numbers (41-906, 41-908, 41-948??)
    thanks in advance.

1996 camaro z28 automatic, no mods.

Stock plug for your car should be 41-943 or you can use a Rapidfire 14. 948s are spec'd for 4 cylinder engines.

http://www.acdelco.com/parts/sparkpl...tification.htm
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Some people have found that the stock AC/Delco plugs lose their platinum tips, leaving a huge gap for the spark to cross. I had two sets with that problem, before I switched to NGK's. You might want to look at something other than the stock plugs.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

thanks for your help.And i already paid for those 41-948 plugs!!..#$@ i will bring them back, using the AC delco identification table to show those dummies at the dealer that 41-948 is not intended for my car. Shoebox thanks again.
        If he cannot deliver 41-943 i should have to go check at other dealers for NGK

1996 camaro z28 automatic, no mods.

Comment

Stick with NGK...the AC Delco Platinum stink...same problem for me...pucks fell off.

I've heard good things about iridium plugs...last a long time too...but kind of expensive.

My Vibe GT came with them from the factory. Suppossed to last as long as platinum but not wear out after 50K. So far...so good.
          Al 96 Ram Air T/A
          Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

iridium? platinum? I dont know what the difference is! I got AC-Delco "Iridium" (it said so on the box, IIRC) installed in my V6 and never had a problem.
            Bruce
            01 Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by 01Y87
              iridium? platinum? I dont know what the difference is! I got AC-Delco "Iridium" (it said so on the box, IIRC) installed in my V6 and never had a problem.
              Platinum is "old tech"..... seems that NGK and AC/Delco have replaced platinum with "iridium" in many applications.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by 01Y87
                Iridium is believed to be the most corrosion resistant element on Earth....and that's sorta ironical considering most scientists believe that Iridium has come from asteroids. It is also very hard and dense and extremely heat resistant, and is the second most dense element found on Earth. Only Osmium is more dense. These characteristics make the plugs very durable, but they also make them perform better as well.

It is said that Iridium center electrodes can withstand temperatures up to 4,000 deg F. This allows the spark plug manufacturers to make the center electrode much smaller than a typical copper or nickel plug, or even a platinum plug. Most of the Iridium plugs have a center electrode of anywhere between 0.4mm and 0.7mm. I believe Delco platinum's have a center electrode of 1.15 mm. Copper/Nickel plugs can have a center electrode 100%-150% larger in diameter.

Due to large surface area of the center electrode on Copper/Nickel plugs, they can actually "squash" the initial flame kernel and prevent an optimum flame front as a result. This is typically referred to as flame kernel quenching. Using a much finer center electrode, as on the Iridium's, this flame kernel quenching is significantly reduced and therefore allows a more efficient flame front resulting in more power.

Iridium center electrodes also absorb far less heat and require much less voltage in order to correctly "fire the gap". This makes your entire ignition system more efficient and again creates better performance and much less chance of detonation and plug fouling.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                  ..... This is typically referred to as flame kernel quenching.....
                  I thought that's how they cook the chicken at KFC
                  Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                    I thought that's how they cook the chicken at KFC
                    ...and the so called chicken Mc "nuggets" at Mickey D's!

Comment

Working...
                    X