Would this work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this work?

I finally get a chance to install my B&M Supercooler tranny cooler. I want flush out the transmission fluid and replace the filter. I've done it a couple of times before but I want to know if a new method would work...

Since there is left over fluid in the torque converter if you just drop the pan a replace the filter...I figured this might be a better procedure since I want complete fresh fluid with the cooler install.

1. Disconnect the "from the tranny" line from the radiator and run a hose from it to an empty bucket (to catch old fluid).
    2. Disconnect the "to the tranny" line from the radiator and run a hose from it to a bucket of fresh fluid for the tranny to suck up.
    3. Run the car and let it idle until the fluid that spits of the "from the tranny" line looks clean like the bucket of fresh fluid.
    4. Drop the pan and replace the filter.
    5. Install cooler per directions.
    6. Fill tranny as instructed.

That would indeed give me a complete tranmission of new fluid right? Give your opinions.

Does this sound right? Would this work?

Also, after reading some other posts about coolers, I will be doing it as a stand alone system. Do I need to do anything special for the radiator itself? Would I need to plug up the holes left over after disconnecting the tranny fluid lines?

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

AFAIK it doesn't push & pull the fluid to/from the cooler, it simply pumps it there & pushes it back, therefore it won't suck from a bucket (although I never tried it this way). However, it does work to refill the pan and pump the old fluid into a bucket while adding the same amount thru the dipstick tube. Easier with a buddy. You naturally want to add as much as is coming out and hopefully end up with slightly less than you need in there. Then warm it up and fill to the appropriate level.

Comment

Working...
    X