anyone put a 6sp m in a 89 gta?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone put a 6sp m in a 89 gta?

hey all i have a 89 gta auto i read all the threads on conversions but i didnt see anyone who put a 6 speed in my body style all i need to know is will it mount in just like a 5 speed would also do i have ot do anything to my computer? i am not sure if i want to do the 5 speed or 6 speed yet. i am not even sure if i have to reprogram teh ecu to put a 5 speed in

www.thirdgen.org, its been done nearly a million times and no its not a direct fit, u will need a defferent cross member, a box for the speedo, etc. just search for it on thirdgen.org. i will be doing one soon to my car but im gonna get a 93 T-56 with the GU4 code
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

spohn makes a trans crossmember u need available with a driveshaft loop attached. I have a 85 iroc with 95 lt1 and 6 speed

Comment

Keisler makes a T56 that is a direct fit to the Gen 1 SBC's. McLeod makes a "universal" SFI-rated bell-housing system that allows the various versions of the T56 (LS1, Viper, etc.... but not the LT1 version) to be bolted up to virtually any engine.

Steve Spohn made that cross-member as part of a "package" that someone else was building to install the LT1 T56 into the 3rd Gen. He used one of my spare T56's and his own 3rd Gen Camaro to help develop the package.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

well i have decided just to put a 5 speed in it i found all the parts i need at a local u pull it the only question i havent had answerd is do i have to do anythign to the ecu to put a 5 speed in or will everythign still work?

Comment

Hey Fred,
            Got any more "spare" LT1 T56's you want to get rid of? haha
            Im actually looking for one right now & Im local!
            No F-Body right now

Comment

To answer your question. NO I did the 5-Speed swap to my 91 RS. The computer doesnt care what kind of trans is behind the engine. Only issues you may have is the speedometer reading wrong, you will need to extend the wires for the reverse lights to the trans casing, and some people say you need a different starter... But I was able to use the orginal automatic starter. Click the below link for more detailed instructions.

5-Speed Swap Instructions
              No F-Body right now

Comment

Working...
              X