• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• supercharger

what modes should i have before running a supercharger in my !1994 z28
    i wanna run about 6-8 psi maybe eight

and info would be helpful

8psi with the stock 10.5:1 pistons on a stock motor with pump gas = boom. If you want to do 8psi on a LT1, it is redo...9.5 pistons, blower cam, and you might as well do the heads while you are in there, headers, injectors, and programming. You can do it on the stock LT1 with programming, and higher psi injectors, but it won't last long.
    '77 K5 rock-crawler project
    '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
    '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
    '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
    '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
    My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Basically, they give you most of what you need to get the thing installed & running. The kits give you a booster pump for more fuel and they also set you up with a FMU (Fuel Management Unit) which is like a second regulator that spikes the fuel pressure and pushes a lot of fuel thru the injectors which makes the car run rich & cool under boost. This is their safety net for making the stock 10.5 c.r. HE pistons live under 4 or 6# of non-intercooled boost. The kit usually has an ignition amplifier with boost retard to help the spark under boost and retard the ignition curve under boost or bad gas situations.

Other things you should do at the same time is plugs & wires. Headers and cat-back are needed to get the exhaust out. Also new valve springs are a real good idea. With these mods you can pretty much run stock programming, although it won't be optimized. The FMUs are crap and hard to tune anyway, so most guys just get bigger injectors and reprogram the computer. If you got an A4, then you gotta put in a shift kit and maybe some programming to get the trans to live under the added power. You will also have a major traction problem if you have the stock wheels & tires.

Comment

The Vortech makes 6-7# while the ATI makes 8#. The closer you get to 8# or more the greater the chance is that something will happen to the LT1. Some people have gone for a few years running 8# on a stock motor while others have gone one season. If you want to run alot of boost it will be best to at least upgrade the pistons and get the compression down to about 9-9.5:1. One mod always leads to other so that would be a good time to take care of the rest of the motor (heads, headers ect). You'll also want to upgrade your injectors to meet the engine's fuel demands and have a custom program made.

Tom

ORDER LINE - 1-877-4-TBYRNE
        SEND US E-MAIL

NEW WEEKLY SPECIALS CAN BE SEEN ON - OUR WEBSITE

Comment

Hey im running a vortech with 9# on the stock bottom end and its aftercooled, do you guys think that it will be ok or should i consider droping the boost down to like 6-7???

Comment

You should be fine. I have alot of customers that picked up one of these when they were first released a few years ago. Some of those cars now have over 50,000 supercharged miles and they are still going strong. You can usually get away with running 9-10# on an LS1 motor.

SEND US E-MAIL

Comment

k thanks. also im planning on doing a head and cam package but i dont know wich ones and were to have it done cuz i cant do it my self, and will the stock bottom end take the SC and the head/cam stuff??? how much HP can i get from that. i have a dyno sheet showing 470 at the wheels right now.

Comment

I made close to 575 rear wheel hp in a car similar to yours (9# Vortech, CNC heads, Comp Cam, long tubes and bolt-ons). When you order the heads make sure they are set up for a supercharged motor. This way the compression can either be kept at the stock level or possibly a little power. You could then go with a smaller pulley to regain some of the boost that you lose from these upgrades.

SEND US E-MAIL

Comment

Working...
                X